OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Equations from Word documents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pespinoza
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Equations from Word documents Reply with quote

It seems that I cannot edit equations that were generated in MS Word using OpenOffice 2.0. Is there a workaround it?
How can I make my OpenOffice equaitons more readable by MS-Word users?
Thanks!
Patricio
FC4
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Equations from Word documents Reply with quote

pespinoza wrote:
It seems that I cannot edit equations that were generated in MS Word using OpenOffice 2.0. Is there a workaround it?
How can I make my OpenOffice equaitons more readable by MS-Word users?
Thanks!
Patricio
FC4

Word uses the same GUI math editor as WordPerfect: MathType derivative. You can get the fuller version of MathType from their website for a fee; worth it if involved in such to some extent. The problem is that you wind up with a graphic image, not editable in a word processor that doesn't have the same math editor embedded.

You can start from scratch in Oo's math editor, and giving credit where due, so far as I know the suite was not invented as a way of transferring Word documents even if "compatible" to some degree, but as a replacement form the start. So starting from scratch in Open office is one alternative. If you can't or don't want to afford MathType or other means like relatively expensive symbolic algebra programs, then you could try the freeware "Mathcast". It's also GUI, but again you'd be starting from scratch.

David.
ftack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathcast is more than freeware: it's open source! Thanks, David, for pointing to it. I was not aware of it.
In Tools - Options - Load/Save, you can check options to convert mathType Objects to Writer upon importing of an MS Office document. When checked, imported equations will be Math objects that can be edited using Math. If the option is not checked, a Mathtype object should remain a Mathype object. It should be possible to edit that object as any foreing OLE object from within Writer, double-clicking it.
Reversedly, you can specify a Math object to be converted to MathType upon saving in Word format.
pespinoza
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Clarify please Reply with quote

Is this correct?
Mathcast runs in only in Windows and its object format is called Math.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
Mathcast is more than freeware: it's open source! Thanks, David, for pointing to it. I was not aware of it.

I've mentioned it in the past a couple of times, I think. However, I'd like to add that anyone doing a serious study in math not cut corners and get serious software for the purpose. There are academic versions for some like Mupad, or the Corel WordPerfect suite [sorry guys] which is quite affordable. ...The later versions are buggy.

Thanks for the additional pointers. I hadn't realised its full capability; I use other software myself.

David.
pespinoza
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: MS Word to OpenOffice Reply with quote

So I tried to go back and for using the conversion options in OpenOffice.
It was fine, but I have to click and open the word equations for them to display correctly.
Anybody knows a way to go around this problem?

I am doing this because I need to intereact with people that use MS Word, and I just want to use Linux, and therefore OpenOffice

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: