OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem: Top Margins Printing incorrectly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themonkman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Problem: Top Margins Printing incorrectly Reply with quote

Hello Smile

I'm using OOo 1.1.4 (Linux) , and when I print out any document, the top margin of the second page and on always prints at 1.5", even though I have it set to be 1". I've tested the printer on my other computer (Mac) and the page margins turn out fine using the same printer. The print preview on my Linux system shows that it should only have a 1" margin as well.

This is making me wonder if it's a Linux printer issue. When I go to File->Print, I notice that OOo detects the printer as a "Generic Printer", type SGENPRT. I'm using Suse 9.1, and in my YaST printer setup, it detects the correct name and driver for my printer. So why is OOo detecting my printer (HP Deskjet 832C) as a generic printer, and do you think that might be causing the issue?

Thanks for all your help. This is driving me nuts because my professor is an anal retentive jackass who marks me down for my top margin being fubar.
Corfy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably a page style issue, like you have the page settings for "the first page" differnent than the other pages.

Hit F11, check the page styles for the first page, and see what style you are using, right-click on it to modify, and see if there is a different style listed for "next style". If so, then it switches over to that style automatically after the first page. Just adjust that spot accordingly, or adjust the page style indicated.

BTW, that whole concept is how you can create a cover page that is formated differently from the rest of the document. It is a handy feature that just happens to have turned into a minor operational bug in your case.

Hope that helps.
themonkman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I checked the page styles, and they are set to be the same for the first page and all pages thereafter. However, this has led me to a new discovery...

When I do a selective print, and print the 2nd page only, it prints out the margin just fine at 1". So, the problem is certainly not styles, it's how my OOo prints. I even went and printed the 3rd page, and the 7th page all by themselves, not consecutively with the other pages, and the margin is a consistant 1".

Any other possible reasons why this may be occuring?
Corfy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any ideas, no. I guess you will have to wait for someone who knows more than I do, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: