OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Office 12 Screenshots
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmm
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Office 12 Screenshots Reply with quote

Microsoft has released information on Office 12 and I see they have changed the interface once again. This time though It's a major change and not just a new coat of paint like from xp to 2003. It turns out they want to get rid of menu bars and replace them with tabs that activate different groups of buttons. Reminds me a bit of Windows Vista where they are hiding the menus. Here's another tidbit, the file menu has been redesigned to look like the Windows XP start menu. What's the opinion here, should OpenOffice follow?

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/sep05/09-13OfficeUI.mspx
http://pdc.xbetas.com.nyud.net:8090/?page=o12preview1
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we need all these buttons and toolbars anyway? Create a big fat Start button, and move all menus and options there Very Happy

Seriously, it is difficult to judge the new GUI by a couple of screenshots: it looks okay, but will it work better that the traditional one?

Kind regards,
Dmitri
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rubbish and they don't even know there own product history:
Quote:
for example, looks much the same as the command bar in Word 2.0 did in 1998

Even Word for Windows 2.0 was 1992, Word 2.0 really was back in the day (and not as good as Word Perfect).

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a video of the new GUI available at Channel 9:

http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=114720

It requires Windows Media Player, and it's a freaking 618MB download!

Kind regards,
Dmitri
Ballonskipper
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many years (20?) with a classic interface, I think it is VERY positive that someone tries to think different and move along.

I hope they put the same effort into improving the software itself, removing BUGS!
slug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the 40 minutes video mentioned above and I think the new look is pretty impressive. I, at first, thought it was not going to be that great, but after the video - I changed my mind. I think this new interface will make Office12 a better tool than it is now. I do currently use OOo2b2 and enjoy it. I think it could be a good idea to follow MS's lead. I think the new interface will ease in finding the tools needed to create and edit documents. Now, I'm saying this without using the product, but from the video, pictures, and acticles I've read - this is how I feel.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy-legs wrote:
Seriously, it is difficult to judge the new GUI by a couple of screenshots: it looks okay, but will it work better that the traditional one?
i

I knew of one colleague who boasted at least 5 word processors and text editors on his machine, but hasn't written even a lengthy essay. As in the school system, too much pride and effort is put into the fluff, and less into the actual content and skills with the tools already on hand. People get large office suites to write notes to their maid, when a plain text editor will do. It's only a slight change from "My car has whitewalls and 500HP, what does yours have?"

David.
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the videos would really mean that much. It could well not be real software being used there, it could be a simulation. Micrsoft did this before with Windows 95. Bill Gates sold it to loads of computer companies based upon him pretending to control the new interface on screen when they didn't have a working desktop at all, it was just a simulation.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
slug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the video then and see that it's not a simulation. Iif you have broadband, it's that that hard to get.
bkovacs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy-legs wrote:
Why do we need all these buttons and toolbars anyway? Create a big fat Start button, and move all menus and options there Very Happy

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Looks 100% better than the OpenOffice 2 GUI. Not that OpenOffice 2 is bad. I guess when you get PAID by a large company that can hire some of the best programers and software developers their is, you can get top quality. The only down side of open source. Star Office an example. You get more of the product when you pay for it. To bad those Office 12 GUI designers couldn't have made that GUI for Open Office 2.0. Cool Just my opinion. No flames
jmm
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info...

http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/09/14/467126.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/09/15/467956.aspx

Quote:
The important point to take away is: The visual look and feel you are seeing in the screenshots is not what we intend to ship. Keep in mind is that this is the earliest we've ever shared detailed information or screenshots of an Office release. We're still months away from even beta 1!

Last edited by jmm on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bkovacs
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
I watched the 40 minutes video mentioned above and I think the new look is pretty impressive. I, at first, thought it was not going to be that great, but after the video - I changed my mind. I think this new interface will make Office12 a better tool than it is now. I do currently use OOo2b2 and enjoy it. I think it could be a good idea to follow MS's lead. I think the new interface will ease in finding the tools needed to create and edit documents. Now, I'm saying this without using the product, but from the video, pictures, and acticles I've read - this is how I feel.

Come on Open Office developers let the MS/Open Office GUI war begin!!!. Or do you not have the time!. Evil or Very Mad
Comfortably_Numb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the OOo developers lack both the time and the man power. Sad
A whole new GUI toolkit would probably need to be used, as well. It'd be no small feat.
kenexcelon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: GUI Reply with quote

It looks like they are taking the screenshots and running the applications on the new Vista OS. To me it just doesn't seem it'll be as efficient with regard to layout.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new GUI takes some research and radical changes requires deep research. OOo is an open source and file format leader, but a GUI follower... 10 years behind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: