OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

italics seem not to work with Oo1.1rc4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: italics seem not to work with Oo1.1rc4 Reply with quote

Perhaps I am missing something? In both openoffice 1.1rc3 and Oo1.1rc4 (which I downloaded today... nice work!) it seems that the italics of characters looks the same as the non italicised letters. This is not a problem in StarOffice 6.0 which I also use, or in past versions of Oo to my recolection. This may be a font issue. If so I would love to know how to change the font of the formula editor to something that allows italics. It just seems odd to have frequency represented by a non italic 'f'.

Also I would like to know how to represent the character used to denote a partial derivative in the formula editor. Unfortunately I don't know the name of the character. I see it in many fonts as a special character in the word processor, but I don't know how to enter a special character from the writer in the formula.

Perhaps a good utility would be to add a button to the 'special' catagory of 'symbols' in the formula editor so that users could add/create characters that they use with frequency. Just a thought.

connorphilip@netscape.net
Asterix
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just tried out and i for me italics are working as for the other questions abt formula editor i dont know...
Bjorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue, did you ever figgure out what was wrong?
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always post your OS for problems like that. I do not have the issue on Windows 2000 SP4. With respect to the partial derivative character, indeed I do not find it back either. A working solution, though, is to (while you are in a Writer doc) find the character in the Inset Special Characters dialog, copy it to the clipboard and then paste it while in Math.
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to the partial derivative: there is the function "partial " that's designed for that. I've learned this through the examples of some experts on this tread: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2238&highlight=
pcrissman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Check all the fonts Reply with quote

I thought I was having this same problem; then I noticed that if I used a different font, other than the default of Bitsream Vera Serif, then italics still worked.

I checked a bunch of others, and found that most fonts displayed italics fine, it was just disconcerting in that the default font (at least for me) did not.

The default font can be changed by going to Format --> Styles --> Catalog and then clicking the "Modify" button while the "Default" style is highlighted. Or, even easier, you can just right-click "Default" in the Stylist (the little box that says "Paragraph Styles" and pick "Modify".

If this doesn't fix your problem, then evidently something else is going on. I'm using OOo 1.1.0 on a Gentoo Linux system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I just found this discussion as I searched for an answer to the same question (about two months too late).

As someone who is new to the desktop OSS world, and is quickly getting very sick of the self-congratulatory jackasses who provide much of the "OSS support" on the web, I'd just like to say thanks for threads like this. The answer was provided with a minimum (e.g. zero) derision of the original poster's inability or unwillingness to reverse engineer the OO code to find the solution. Pcrissman, bless his heart, even provided the steps required for those of us who don't know the software that well yet.

I've come to start cringing whenever I turn to the web for help, but things like this renew my confidence in the "community" support model...

... until my next Slashdot visit, that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: