OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How many video converters ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keme

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: How many video converters ... Reply with quote

The current forum spam situation makes me wonder: How many video converters are there, and why?
Is the spamming really worthwhile? If so, then how?

Do people need the software simply to rip copy protected videos? (Are those ripped videos then resold, or is it just to get them onto the portable media of choice?)

Is it a trick to fool search engines into returning a higher relevance for some product?

Other reason that I didn't think of?
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: How many video converters ... Reply with quote

keme wrote:
...or is it just to get them onto the portable media of choice?...

Other reason that I didn't think of?

Maybe YouTube does not accept .vob. If you import a .vob file into Avidemux and try and save it in another format you may well find the video and audio out of sync. Subtitles may slip with .mpg format or may be in sync with .avi but out with .mpg.
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several reasons for these video converters.

Certainly, some of the reasons are illegal. Some people want to rip their DVDs so they can illegally share them, but there are lots of other reasons.

Probably the biggest one is being able to store your movies on a harddrive. Whether you want to watch it on your laptop while you are away from home without having to carry a bunch of DVDs, want to watch a DVD on a netbook/ultraportable which typically doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive, or store all your movies on a media center so you can access them with quickly on-demand (and avoid the risk of having your DVDs inadvertently scratched or damaged while transferring from case to player and back), or whether you want to make a copy for your cell phone/MP3 player so you can watch them anywhere, there are lots of legitamate reasons to want to convert DVDs into other formats.

Of course, many of these reasons are still illegal in many cases. Most DVDs sold have a bit of encryption on them to help prevent them from being copied. While making a copy of your DVD to store on your laptop's harddrive isn't illegal under the idea of fair use, in the U.S., bypassing the encryption on the DVD to make the copy violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). So far, fair use vs. the DMCA hasn't gone before the courts yet, so the legality is still somewhat in question.
Guest 2.0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit OT from the current thread, but why are these one-post-wonders able to post image links?
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum doesn't block images from being posted, it just doesn't provide a means for attaching images. But sometimes people are having problems and the only way they can really describe what is going on is with a screenshot. If they have a place to upload their screenshots, we don't want to discourage them from posting the pictures on their first posts, particularly when many new users join the forums looking for help.

At least, that is my take on it. I'm just a moderator, not an administrator, so I don't have any real say over the settings.
Guest 2.0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's no way to restrict image links to a set of pre-defined domains, at least not without the admin changing things, eh? At least then, the spammers would be wasting their time posting images, since there would be no way to verify how many people were viewing them.
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

violaping wrote:
because there are so many video formats and no all-in-one players

I don't know about "all", but I haven't thrown a video format at VLC Player yet that it couldn't handle. It helps that it is not only available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, but it is also open source.

Some people prefer MPlayer over VLC (which is also cross-platform, open source and can handle most formats), but I prefer VLC's interface.
Greengiant224
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the administrators could implement a new approach to all these unwanted postings
The recent prolilferation of postings could be stopped/cut immediately by sending the offending people an invoice for the removal of these postings.
(obviously, their full contact details are included with their posting, not had to find them eh.)

Also deleting their account details.

Would it not be prudent to have a script run at pre-set times, say every three hours to automatically delete these unwanted postings.

I urge all genuine members of this forum to flag up these unwanted postings with the prescribed es pea ay and em typed three times in succession (without any spaces between) whenever you see them.

Kind regards everyone.....

Linux 2.6.38, KDE 4.9.2, LibreOffice v 3.5.x (Java 1.6.35) utilising HSQL v1.8 & v2.3.0, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: