OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

document locked for editing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unknowndevice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: document locked for editing Reply with quote

i'm running OOo 3.2.1 on red hat 5.2. for the last few weeks, i've been having major problems with OOo documents getting "locked for editing" at random times and without any obvious pattern. i get the following message when trying to open a locked document:

"document file <filename here> is locked for editing by: unknown user"

then i get the option to open read only, open a copy, or cancel.

i've seen similar problems before with OOo documents on ubuntu and mint and been able to resolve them by simply deleting the hidden lock file that corresponds to document i want to open. unfortunately, this doesn't work this time around. even if i delete the lock file, the document itself remains locked. i can open a copy and save it with another name, but that gets tedious since this is happening several times a day now.

also, i'm not 100% sure, but i think this only happens to OOo documents stored on NFS shares. i'm pretty much 100% sure that no one else is opening these files, since they're mainly personal notes that i've taken on various projects that i'm working on alone.

anyone have any idea how i can get my files to stop getting locked, or at least any method to unlock them more convenient than opening copies and saving under another name? how do these files even know they're locked after i delete the corresponding lock file?
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any good answers, but, this was in the release notes for 3.0

Quote:
In the default setting, file locking is turned on in OpenOffice.org. To deactivate it, you have to set the appropriate environment variables SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0 and export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING. These entries are already in enabled form in the soffice script file.

Warning: The activated file locking feature can cause problems with Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.7 used in conjunction with Linux NFS 2.0. If your system environment has these parameters, we strongly recommend that you avoid using the file locking feature. Otherwise, OpenOffice.org will hang when you try to open a file from a NFS mounted directory from a Linux computer.

I believe that they made more changes for 3.2 and/or 3.2.1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
unknowndevice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your reply. where would one find this "soffice script file" of which you speak?
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea....

[andy@pitonyak ~]$ which soffice
/usr/bin/soffice

OK, I mean it is in /usr/bin/soffice

This is a script file, take a look at it. See if you can run a test case with this disabled and see if it makes a difference. After you determine that it does, you probably want to file a bug report against this so that it might be fixed in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: