OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Base and HSQL together but not mixed? How to do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malik
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for showing me the vast error of my ways....lol
I read,read,read,read, re-read then read some more then try to implement (i figure it saves time versus de-bugging / bug hunting) but sometimes it just becomes a big blur.
like in the case of mydb.file.obd DOH!
I did the above mentioned fixes and increased hsql cashe to 32MB and everything was looking good.
till i opened the server with the Start.bat /VB script opened the table then i went to a client
added a new record with a form and saved it. and to my amazement. it wasn't live (i was amazed that i'm still doing something wrong and what you said didn't work probably because there's some detail i don't know i need to mention or just don't know at all; operator error on my end at any case). I re-started the server with the Stop/Start scripts while closing out the client so both were closed out of OOo 3.3 at the same time then launched the server following the launch of the client.
then the data was there i tried set log=0 (in the url of the client) copyed the mydb.server.obd to the desktop and added the //Computername/users/public/databases/mydb/database/mydb; which worked fine except the 3-5 mins it took to connect which was odd i though at 100 base T. It felt like about 300/1200 baud (not to age myself). I'm thinking theres something wrong with why i cant use the users/public/databases/mydb/mydb; i feel i need to copy everything from the ~/database <Dir> and paste and re-place in the mydb folder so i can use the correct path/url and try and make this as close to your guide as possible. then play with it instead of the other way around.

~Malik

Last edited by Malik on Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
copyed the mydb.server.obd to the desktop and added the
//Computername/users/public/databases/mydb/database/mydb;
which worked fine except the 3-5 mins it took to connect ... I'm thinking theres something wrong with why i cant use the users/public/databases/mydb/mydb

Well...it appears you're still using a 'File mode' URL in the client "data source URL" setting. That's not going to work.

I re-wrote my previous post for additional clarity. So perhaps re-read that. Also, check your messages for a PM above.
Malik
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i was but now i finally understand what went wrong and now everything is running like glass one of the biggest things was i had clients and the server pointing withe the URL to the exact path. Umm never do that. -Malik
PaulARLowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to use the "Quick Fix" posted by DACM in Jan 2010. I have downloaded the mydb.jar file, opened it in 7-zip and extracted the files. What do I do next? I can't find any .exe files to run.

Thank you.
Malik
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't unzip it. You execute it ~Malik
PaulARLowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Malik.

I have tried double clicking on mydb.jar and all I get is a command prompt window with an error message flashing on the screen. I cannot read the error message because it closes too rapidly.

I am trying to set up a portable Base application with the program and data files separated. I am using Windows 7 and I have just updated my Java Runtime Environment to Version 6 Update 25. I have OpenOfficePortable 3.2.0 installed on my computer. I have moved mydb.jar to My Documents to avoid permissions problems.

Any ideas why the mydb.jar file doesn't run for me?

Thank you for your assistance.

Paul

P.S. I have just tried double clicking on mydb.jar on a different computer running XP SP3. On this computer, I do in fact get a dialog box to initiate the installation. However, when I proceed through the installation, I get an "Installation Failed" message at the end. Does OpenOffice have to be pre-installed for the "Quick Fix" to work or is it self contained?
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

The mydb.jar file should be dated Apr 2011 (as opposed to a 2010 version). Perhaps try downloading again to make sure it's a complete download.

PaulARLowe wrote:
Any ideas why the mydb.jar file doesn't run for me?

I should probably post the installer (mydb.jar) as an exe since the jar didn't turn-out to be cross-platform as envisioned. It's Windows only. I guess some computers won't run a jar by double-clicking but you might try "JarFix" or manual methods to re-claim the proper file association for jar files under Windows.

PaulARLowe wrote:
P.S. ...However, when I proceed through the installation, I get an "Installation Failed" message at the end. Does OpenOffice have to be pre-installed for the "Quick Fix" to work or is it self contained?

OpenOffice.org (OOo) should be pre-installed for the effects of the "Quick Fix" to work. The installer, itself, is sufficiently self-contained to run and install the necessary file(s) either way, but...

Step 4 of 7 attempts to shutdown the OOo QuickStarter.exe utility by reference to the existing copy in the OOo folder. If it doesn't find Quickstarter.exe, it will cause mydb.jar to report an installation "failure" upon completion. But this is meaningless in this case because Quickstarter doesn't exist and therefore, doesn't need to be shutdown. And even if Quickstarter remains running, it simply means that the effects of the "Quick Fix" will not be available/functional until Quickstarter is shutdown, which you can do manually (right-click "Exit Quickstarter" in the system tray) or otherwise, such as a computer log-off or restart.

PaulARLowe wrote:
I have OpenOfficePortable 3.2.0 installed on my computer.

P.S. Consider an upgrade to OOo 3.3.x (or even a downgrade to 3.1.1) due to Form bugs in 3.2.x. And after any re-installation of OOo you'll need to re-run the "Quick Fix" (or setup the classpath to hsqldb.jar manually in OOo) to regain HSQLDB 'multi-mode' support..
PaulARLowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DACM:

Thank you for your quick response. I'll try all of your suggestions tomorrow and re-read the 5 pages of this topic. Incidentally, I did originally download the mydb.jar that is linked to your post of 2010-06-24 before I found the the link in your post of 2010-10-09 which shows an upload date of 2011-04-08.

Could I trouble to ask you whether I will still be able to get a "Portable" application by downing OOo 3.3.x. Would you recommend downloading 3.3 from OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice Portable 3.3 from PortableApps.com?

Thank you again.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "portable" but now it's clear you actually meant a portable application. The portable versions have a different folder structure, so when applying the "Quick Fix" to these versions you'll need to specify (browse to) the proper "Target Folder." This folder becomes 'OOo' or 'libreoffice' as found inside the respective 'Apps' folder (PortableApps > <office>Portable > Apps > OOo -or- libreoffice).

Here's the links to the latest portable versions:
OpenOfficePortable or LibreOffice Portable & then there's JavaPortable if you'll be running from USB flash drive on computers without a recent version of Java.
PaulARLowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again DACM.

I have deleted my previous download of mydb.jar and have re-downloaded the file from the link that you gave me which shows an upload date of 2011-04-08. When I double clicked on the file, I got the same issue of a command prompt window flashing on the screen. By quickly repeating this I was able to read a reference to 7-Zip and a "Wrong command line" reference. I removed 7-Zip from my computer. Now when I double click on mydb.jar I get an "Open With" dialog asking me to choose the program with which to open the file. This was what originally led me to installing 7-Zip before you corrected me.

I have tried associating .jar files with java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe in turn as suggested in another forum. None of these works.

I then tried removing my JRE and re-downloading it. I notice that Windows has set the "Java(TM) Web Start Launcher as the default program for opening .jar files. I now get a dialog "Application Error - Unable to launch the application".

Would it be possible to post the .exe or provide guidance on how I show configure my Windows 7 computer to open mydb.jar. My Java Runtime appears to be working correctly.

I have downloaded LibreOfficePortable 3.3.0 as you suggested.

Sorry to be such a nuisance. Thank you.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulARLowe wrote:
...provide guidance on how I show configure my Windows 7 computer to open mydb.jar.

Did you try...
dacm wrote:
...some computers won't run a jar by double-clicking but you might try "JarFix" or manual methods to re-claim the proper file association for jar files under Windows.

PaulARLowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DACM:

Thank you. I'm out of town for about a month and will follow up on this when I return.

Best regards, Paul
PaulARLowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DACM:

I'm making progress by switching to another XP computer. Using your Quick Fix process and the recommendations from your post to:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=386995#386995

I have been able to set up a database and to migrate my tables, forms and queries from my existing database .odb file. Could you please help me understand how to migrate my macros and dialogs. I have had no luck Googling this subject.

Thank you.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulARLowe wrote:
...how to migrate my macros and dialogs...

I've only migrated macros, not dialogs, and I used copy&paste in the macro 'organizer.' But I'm guessing both (macros and dialogs) can be done with drag&drop a folder ('Basic') or two between .odb files opened in a zip archive tool. I'll do some testing...
ramack
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does using this approach effect the speed? I have a Base db that is about 1Mb and while I browse the db table, it hesitates and pauses for several seconds. Ie, if I scroll up/down, there is considerable delay between the key strokes and displayed page.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: