OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Referencing chapter numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Osicki

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Referencing chapter numbers Reply with quote

Hi,

I use in a document I'm writing references like "See chapter x.y"
Is there any way to have x.y updated when chapter numbering changes?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Chris
rlopes

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Numbering reference Reply with quote

I have exactly the same question but for a more general issue. Is it possible to insert references to numbered lines?
For example, I have the following list:

1. Grocery
2. Bread
3. Codfish
4. None of the above

and then I would like to refer to a specific line, like this:

The correct answer is 2 as you should know.

And the 2 should be the reference to the line with Bread so that, if the order changes, the number remains updated.

Best regards,

/rp[/i]
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to reference the actual number of items that are auto-numbered then you need to use the type of numbering provided by Tools > Outline numbering where the numbering level is controlled by the paragraph style used.

After you do Ctrl+F2 > References tab and Set the reference, use the Format “Chapter” when you Insert the reference. This number will now update if moved although you may have to press F9 to force the update.

RLOPES,

In your case, if you want to do a series of questions and answers then you would need the same type of numbering and use Heading 1 for your questions and Heading 2 for your answers. When you set up Heading 2 (Level 2) you have a choice of Show(ing) Sublevels of 1 or 2. If you use 1 then each answer will be numbered 1, 2, etc. and if you use 2 then you will get 1.1, 1.2, etc.

You can shuffle your answers around using Ctrl+Up/Down arrows and watch the reference change.

JohnV
rlopes

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Inserting references to a paper bibliografy Reply with quote

Hi there.

Thanks gor your quick answer. Now I have a similar one... Wink
Supose you have a list of bibliografy numbered as follows:
[1] Foo, A., "Zi Title", where it was published, 2002.
[2] Foo2, A., "Zi Second Title", where it was published, 2002.

and now you want to insert the reference number in the middle of the text:

As you can see in [1] not everything is what we can see [2]. You have to keep on trying to achieve that.

So that the reference number changes as more references are inserted or removed. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks in advance.

/rp
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rlopes,

I'm afraid I don't understand this question.

Are you taking advantage of OO's built-in Bibliography database to handle your short bibliograhy references in the doc and then creating your full bibliography with Insert > Indexes and Tables > Type=Bibliography? If not see Help > Index tab > Bibliography.

If you want to do something else then please provide a step by step discription of what you are doing and what you want to change.

JohnV
rlopes

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Bibliography references Reply with quote

Excelent! Thanks a lot!

I didn't realise that OO had already a bibliography manager. Thanks for pointing me that out!

Cheers,

/rp
The Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: i tried this Reply with quote

I tried this, insert -> other -> reference ->insert refernce ->chapter
but instead of giving me my chapter 3.ii, it only gives me the ii what am i doing wrong

Thanks in advance
Iannz
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written a cross referencing macro that should make it easier to reference outlined paragraphs. It is available from: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/
I'm not sure about your issue The Don, as there is a problem in Writer that it doesn't show the numbers as they are formatted for the paragraph.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development_basic a wiki about writing OpenOffice.org extensions.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Numbering reference Reply with quote

rlopes wrote:
I have exactly the same question but for a more general issue. Is it possible to insert references to numbered lines?
For example, I have the following list:

1. Grocery
2. Bread
3. Codfish
4. None of the above

and then I would like to refer to a specific line, like this:

The correct answer is 2 as you should know.

And the 2 should be the reference to the line with Bread so that, if the order changes, the number remains updated.

Best regards,

/rp[/i]

For multiple choice questions you could also set up a table with no borders, and reference cells or contents.

David.
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=25072

Quote:
Motivation
Cross references to headings or paragraphs of numberings in OpenOffice.org 1.1 and below, could only be created manually in separate steps1. Now cross references to headings and numberings can be set directly by selecting them from a list of all headings and numbered items of the current document and insert the reference in a single step. This is a usability improvement of this frequently used functionality.

Jaapie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Referencing paragraphs by number Reply with quote

All things considered..
I do think not being able to reference a numbered paragraph by its number is a deficiency.

Jaap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: