OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Read this if you cannot insert/delete/update records
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Read this if you cannot insert/delete/update records Reply with quote

This problem seems to come up quite often, so I'm posting this sticky thread to try and enable people to find the answer more easily.

If you have a database, and you are having problems like not being able to add new records or delete/update existing records, then your database might be being opened read-only. This might be because some database drivers return incorrect, or insufficient, information regarding privileges. This problem is commonly reported with MySQL, but can affect other databases too.

More information can be found on OOo's Database Access project web site at:
http://dba.openoffice.org/FAQ/FAQ.html#dataupdate
http://dba.openoffice.org/howto/IgnoreDriverPrivileges.html

The above links describe how to use a macro to work around the problem. I've written a document that makes it easy to apply the neccessary changes. You can get it from OOoMacros:
http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php#103772

Russ
Luctor
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried your macro and I've searched in my files and found a file called
Quote:

~/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/DataAccess.xcu

In this file is an entry :
Code:

<node oor:name="IgnoreDriverPrivileges" oor:op="replace">
     <prop oor:name="Value" oor:type="xs:boolean">
      <value>true</value>
     </prop>
</node>

So my guess is that's ok.

Now the thing that is really strange is that I am able to enter new data in the database, but OOo won't let me update or delete anything.

It works in MySQL command line and I am also able to do this via a small PHP script I wrote so the database itself and the priveleges seem to be ok.

LFS 5.0
    OOo1.1.2
    MySQL 4.0.20
    unixODBC 2.2.9
    myodbc 3.52

Rob[/b]
Luctor
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to do a SQL query from OOo and that works ... Shocked
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know what is going wrong Sad I'd suggest you try asking in the Data Sources forum.

Russ
moptop99
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: direct modification of privileges? Reply with quote

russ, thank you for this excellent macro, I was pulling out my heair, this is great. Unfortunately the OOo installed on one of my machines seems to crash every time I run a macro -- don't know yet what the problem is there. But in the meantime was wondering whether there's an xml file somewhere that I can edit manually to change the privileges. presumably the info exists somewhere?

thanks,

Matt
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: direct modification of privileges? Reply with quote

moptop99 wrote:
russ, thank you for this excellent macro, I was pulling out my heair, this is great. Unfortunately the OOo installed on one of my machines seems to crash every time I run a macro -- don't know yet what the problem is there. But in the meantime was wondering whether there's an xml file somewhere that I can edit manually to change the privileges. presumably the info exists somewhere?

I don't know, sorry. It might be worth having a look at OOo's DB Access project web site:

http://dba.openoffice.org/

Russ
kbrown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried everything suggested above but no avail. Switching from MyODBC to MySQL Connector/J solved the problem though...
Celsun
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Check the "owner" Reply with quote

For over the past year-and-a-half, OOo, MySQL, and ODBC worked correctly for me. Recently, after upgrading to a new Linux OS, different computer, and newer versions of MySQL, ODBC, and MyODBC, tables were read-only.

Needless to say, this was very frustrating. Trying the things suggested in this forum didn't correct the issue.

To shorten this little story, what worked for me, and maybe will for others as well is:

Changing the owner from root to mysql on the databases that were backed up and restored to /var/lib/mysql.

Celsun
cyberwuffy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro didn't work with my tables after I set ignore privledges. They're still in read only. I love the new beta simply because of its database program, but this is an awful lot of hassle. Can't the M$ Access database simply be converted to an Open DataBase file?

Sysinfo:
Debian Linux; OO 2.3
mercurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Possible solution Reply with quote

Hi

I've been having problems with MySQL and OO,o 1.1.3 (Debian, 2.6.11) - until now.

I got ODBC and MySQL communicating quite satisfactorily but I wasn't able to edit the data in OO.o, nor could I access field names for use in a mail merge.

Solution ?

I read this post: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=10509&highlight=mysql+mail+merge

To summarise, it is critical that your table and field names DO NOT CONTAIN SPACES. As soon as I changed all my tables and fields to use underscores "_" rather than spaces " " all worked perfectly.
Lunar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: ensure records have valid ID Reply with quote

using OO 1.9.95 trying to migrate a simple Access 2000 home database to Base, importing just the one table and creating a form. Using ODBC database views fine but always opens in read-only. Found problems adding records and sometimes with other functions. Changed to "edit mode" so read-only didn't appear made no difference. All problems were resolved when I checked that any added/edited record did have a valid record ID, not <autofield> (enforce this simply by moving back one record then forward again) --if it did then all changes saved without problems --read-only mode was irrelevant as, just as in Access, changes are automatically saved. This problem does not occur if entering data in a table but then who ever does that...

PS Echo previous poster about spaces in table/field names. You'll notice that if you use the wizzards you won't and that's why!
lynx

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: dendritic permissions problem Reply with quote

Just started using OOo for a database. Managed to keep adding data (eventually), but any directory (folder--XP) I saved in now is apparently irreparably read-only. Sneakily changes BACK to read-only after claiming to have rewritten attributes. Deinstalled and deleted everything, can't find anything weird. Don't see any changes in user permissions. ??? first dBase, then saved data as spreadsheet, same problem...still a driver issue?
Help?
lynx
frazelle09
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Data input through query or form with 2 linked tables Reply with quote

Tried the downloaded macro to see if it would help in getting a newly formed db to accept data input through a query or form. Two of the tables are related (one to many - inner join), both have a primary key which is indexed and none of them have table or column name with spaces. I even went back to EMS PostgreSQL Lite to set permissions on all tables and did a reset of the computer, but am still unable to input the first record into the two tables through the query or form-subform. Any other ideas? Am using Postgresql and the Postgresql SDBC driver. Have a happy week!! Very Happy

"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
Bahá'u'lláh

"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
Bahá'u'lláh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bailey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: maybe there's something simple Reply with quote

I am hesitant to use the macro or download any drivers. I am not familiiar with macros, and I don't have very much experience with databases. Since I just started working with OOo Base, is it possible that I am not opening the database correctly? Thank you, Bailey
EtHeReAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the same problem!

I've a table that, opened, is read-only...

I cannot modify or add new values or entries...

I've tried with the macro you linked, but it didn't work...

Do I have to abandone every hope?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: