OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Read this if you cannot insert/delete/update records
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackarrowZ

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Problem still exists? Reply with quote

Hi,

I created a database from scratch in base using the default values, it's a very simple database, but after setting up the tables and forms find I can't add any data and the tables and forms say "read-only" at the top, when trying to enter data.

Is there a definitive solution to this yet, should it not, with the default values and an internal database just work? Yes all my primary keys are set up.

base is exactly what I'm looking for, if only I could get it to work it would be a stunning piece of software.

I'm a big fan of free software and oOO in particular, but this problem seems to have been going on for a while now.

If it's me being stupid I apologise whole heartedly and you can call me all the names you like, as long as I get pointed towards a solution for my dumbness!

Oh yes, and the question is how do you fix it! Wink

Thanks!
oilman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the wrong answer, as I've only been playing with OOo for a week or two, but I can get rid of the "(read only)" on the title bar by opening the relevant form in the edit mode, then clicking the "design on/off" button. I am using v2.1 on OS X 10.3.9.
P-Y Delens
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Write-Access to a OO Calc source seems impossible Reply with quote

Write-Access to my small test OO Calc source seems impossible.

- Test was performed on OOo 2.2.1
- I tried to use the Macro-Gui (http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php#103772)for changing the settings 'Ignore drivers privileges'
- but the checkbox in this miniGui definitely refuses to get checked.
- is this because writing on a Cac source is NOT possible?
- or other reason?

More generally, are there conditions on a Calc sheet (or perhaps a data range in Calc as to act as a datasource for OO Base? Any doc about this?

And about ODBC drivers for OO Calc? Is there anything new? A road map? Or will this never happen?

Help please

P-Y Delens
robinndi
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Work-around for READ-ONLY problem Reply with quote

Using OO base 2.3 with HSQL on Windows Vista

My .odb got infected with the dreaded read-only problem. I reinstalled all of 2.3. Tried save as. Tried Avantman's GUI to change datasource properties; it gave no errors, but IgnoreDriverPrivileges would not stick. The value remained false.

Finally tried Oilman's trick of opening my Form in edit mode then pushing button to toggle off design mode.

Edit: Still working on final conclusions! It is not so simple!

Inside the same .odb I have two forms. Using one the Windows application title bar says it is read only but it is not. I can make changes and say Close. A dialog pops up and asks if I want to save the changes. I do and they stick.

Using oilman's method, the title bar no longer says read only, but it was not read only anyway.

I made a second form accessing the same datasource. It says it is read-only in the title bar and it really is. I cannot edit any of the field values.

Now I have to figure out the difference between my two forms? Yes ..
One form uses a table as a data source and is therefore editable. The other uses a query and edit is not supported (?).

One conclusion. Even though the title bar says read only, that may or may not be true. Try it anyway.
ichbindev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to run the macro but was unable to enable 'IgnoreDriverPrivileges'. it would be enabled for a moment and then become disabled again. How can one fix that?
chefkoch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm also facing the MySQL - OO Base Problem with writing not being allowed unter OO.

I installed the macro and am able to execute it, but I don't know what datasource ist expected to be entered! The macro always returns that the datasource was not found!

I thought jdbc:mysql://hostname/databasename should be working but it doesn't, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
dwlamb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Read-only still a problem Reply with quote

After reading the above articles, I am still having a challenge to interface with MySQL through Base.

I downloaded and ran the macro for Data Source Advanced Settings. Upon starting the GUI, all 3 settings were already enabled. I have tried running Base with and without Ignore Driver Privileges enabled to no avail.

Data can be added to this database through direct input on the table but if I open the form it is read-only and the forms navigation tool bar is inactive.

I've already googled this problem with none of those solutions relevant to my problem. The table has a primary key and the form is based on a table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
DaveX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Open Office to catalog an extensive CD collection. Although my database itself is rather simple in structure (three fields!) it is rather long, still very much unfinished at nearly 3000 entries. I'm very much unsure of how to use Open Office, generally finding it far more powerful than I need, so please tailor your help accordingly.

Right now, I can open my database file (a .odb file) and view it, but I can't seem to edit. The little yellow asterik/star button is grayed out. If there is a way to just copy all the data, and import it into a new database, that would be fine... or somehow access the ability to keep adding new data...

I would hate to lose this. I'm not a fast typist, and this has been grueling work.

I tried that macro thing, which I only halfway understand, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'm using version 2 of OO... any way to pop this data into another new database would be wonderful. Thank you.
ThrashCardiom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed OO 2.4 and there is still no solution for this problem.

I have no problems editing single tables or queries/forms that work on single tables only. The read-only factor kicks in for me when I create a query that links two or more tables.

It's making me look at alternatives to Open Office as I have a number of databases used by my staff and not being able to edit related data makes Open Office Base completely useless. Currently we are working through a web interface but it's painful having to write code to cover every eventuality.

Rekall seems to restrict related tables to a maximum of two in a query so that's no good.

I'm being driven towards Access under Wine or something similar and this is not a way I wish to go.
Sylmand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: The dreaded ReadOnly Syndrome Reply with quote

I've self taught myself with access since i was 19 (I'm 31 now), I've dabbled in MySQL and MS SQL and now wanted to try some OpenSource Software... I've created a new DB, created a two field table "ResourceID (Primary Key)" and "RName"... The table and form based on this table is READ ONLY..

HELP!!!

I'm running Win XP
ignatz1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just not getting this. Ive used access a lot but feel like an idiot suddenly.
Base should come with a big "Not working yet!" warning sticker on it.
elvira-kate
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a beginner at Open Office but have created several databases in Access. Every time I try to create a database in Base my forms come up with 'read-only' on top. The toggle for 'design mode on off' is greyed out and I can see no way to enable it. I don't understand macros. Has anyone cracked this or do I have to give up already?

I am using the latest all-singing, all-dancing OOo3. I have only installed Base, as it is the only application I need at the moment. I am using XPPro SP3.
45dodger
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Is Base just a fraud? Reply with quote

I also am seeing the "read-only" on top of my screen when I open the form (I suppose it would be called a data entry form, it is part of the tutorial by Drew Jensen). I am using version 3.0.x, freshly downloaded this week, running on Win XP. I have seen favorable articles about Open Office for several years, but have not seen anything good about Base.
Dennis
sdd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Openoffice 3.0 on Ubuntu, and have a problem with the database component.

I can create a table with all the necessary fields and save it. However, when I open it, I cannot add any data. I get the same on both my Ubuntu machines.

When I open the table, every button on the toolbar is greyed out, except 'Refresh'. The permissions on the file seem okay (I couldn't write to it running OO using sudo).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen.
Trezker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with MySQL relations. I can add a relation so it enforces integrity. But the cascade option seems broken and the relation editor doesn't show any lines. So I can't find a way to edit existing relations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: