OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Frontend search/edit/add/update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rezter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Frontend search/edit/add/update? Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new to OpenOffice Base and I have been assigned the task of creating a database, and then can be accessed in several ways. My understanding of the structure of queries/forms/reports is not that good so I would like to know if the following things I wish to achieve are possible and potentially advice/tutorials on how to achieve them.

So ideally I would like a search form (I think forms seem like the most plausible option for this, correct me if I'm wrong) so that the users have textboxes for each field in the database and then they can input text into as many of those textboxes as they want and then click a search button and this would return a table of results from the database. They could then access each entry and potentially View/Edit/Delete each entry. And even Add a new entry.

I believe forms would be the best because Queries seem to be a static search where as I need this database to have an ease of access for users. Then editing the Table manually is another option I would not expect all the users to do so this would be something I would like to achieve with Forms.

I apologize for my naivety with this software and all advice regarding my queries would be appreciated, thanks.
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I think for a good understanding of OOo-base see to this link and follow the links there.

I think special your wrong understanding of the search possiblillities will give you problems.

In your case study the form search.

Romke
rezter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what would be ideal for me is if somebody could tell me if what I'm wanting to do is possible with Base? And if so.... can you point me in the right direction of what I need to do. Hopefully even tutorials outlining how to do it.
keme

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezter wrote:
Well what would be ideal for me is if somebody could tell me if what I'm wanting to do is possible with Base? And if so.... can you point me in the right direction of what I need to do. Hopefully even tutorials outlining how to do it.

I believe what you want is possible with Base. However, there are a few learning steps involved, steps that amount to what I would call a course, rather than a tutorial. A rough outline of what you probably need:

You need to create a well structured database. The complexity of this depends on your data (and in particular, in which ways different parts of your data relate to each other).

You need to know a bit of SQL to be able to create flexible search functionality. In particular, the use of SQL wildcards and joins will be useful. (You can use the query wizard to create a basic skeleton for your search, but to make it user friendly you probably need to tune the query by editing SQL)

If the database is to be accessed simultaneously by multiple users (i.e. more than one at a time), you should have a database server installed, and use OOo.Base as the "front end".
rezter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Great, I'll look in to the structure of queries and SQL wildcards and joins.

Just so I'm understanding you correctly, you think it's possible to do all this within Base with the use of SQL? So for example, I could have a page (excuse the use of the word 'page'.... I think it would be better to avoid using 'form' or 'querie') with textboxes for several database columns and you could type in text which can then active a querie... which would then result in a list of results which can then be viewed and editted?

If so, once I get to grips with queries and SQL regarding those, were do you advise I look in terms of linking queries and forms together in Base?
RPG
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

In your case there are three questions
a) can OOo-base do it.
b) Can you program OOo-base so it does it for you.
c) Is base the best tool?

I agree with Keme that OOo-base can do it.But can you program OOo-base so it can do it for you. I think as long you only post those question and do not STUDY you can not do it. Maybe is OOo-base not the best tool.

It seems that you have not follow the links I did point to. So I have nothing to tell more. The reason there are a lot of good tutorials and books. I did point to some where you can start and you still expect we give you the light. Start with study and I do not use the word read.

Romke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: