OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing Multiple Values in One Field
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aleksks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the hints and material. I experienced a problem with a base file today, such that I couldn't open it anymore. Fortunately I could retrieve the query I began to build yesterday.

Though, I'm a little confused not to be informed before about that kind of problem (of corrupted file), as it seems that it's quite common, and considered as a real issue. At least a message "we strongly recommend to do this and that, until the problem is fixed" during the install process. In my case I lost only some hours of work (not professional), but for other people I guess it can be more dramatic.

All the best Smile
Aleksks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: group_concat Reply with quote

Hi,

I have upgraded the version of HSQLDB to 2.0 as described to be able to perform GROUP_CONCAT, but I failed. It still say "unexpected token GROUP_CONCAT".

When I perform SHUTDOWN COMPACT, I experience the same problem as discribed by rmalino, though it say the submission of the query was successful.

rmalino2 wrote:
I checked all of my datatypes and sizes, and there were some that were cutting it close. I updated the sizes of my varchar fields to definitely exceed my needs. I saved and backed up and followed the steps again, but I got the same message.

The SHUTDOWN COMPACT command worked in step 2.

When I try to reopen my file after getting the "java.lang.NullPointerException in statement [SHUTDOWN COMPACT]" error, I get the message "The connection to the data source "FILE NAME" could not be established. The connection could not be established. The database was created by a newer version of OpenOffice.org."

When I delete the new HSQL file and use the backed up version of my project to get back into things.

Is there other people in the same case? Maybe I missed something (copy paste the file sqltool.jar which can be found in hsqldb_16.zip somewhere? restart the computer?)
lewishollow
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So based on the instructions, it looks like this can only be done in Windows. I do the work on an odb database used to drive a small retail business at home on a Windows PC, but the computer used at the retail store is a Mac. Would it be possible to do this on the windows PC, then take the files created and make them run in the multi-mode format described here on a Mac? I want to maintain the existing data in the embedded tables, but separating the datastore from the odb file is important because of the data loss sensitivity.

Thanks!
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewishollow wrote:
So based on the instructions, it looks like this can only be done in Windows...the computer used at the retail store is a Mac.

Well yes, the installers are specific to Windows, but the manual setup instructions should be easily adapted to OS X or Linux installations. You'll need to understand the file-path setting in the data-source URL associated with 'file-mode' (mydb.file.odb):
see also: [Solved] Install HSQL-2.2.5

The files you develop are cross-platform. Both the Base front-end files (.odb) and the "multi-mode database" files for HSQLDB are cross-platform, so you can copy them to a Mac or Linux machine for use or development as necessary. You can even develop the database application using 'file mode' and then convert the Base file (.odb) to 'server mode' by changing the filename and data-source URL for deployment. It's a flexible development and deployment environment.
lewishollow
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dacm wrote:
You'll need to understand the file-path setting in the data-source URL associated with 'file-mode' (mydb.file.odb):

I don't understand it yet, but I'm hoping I will once I dig in...

Thanks!
lewishollow
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewishollow wrote:
dacm wrote:
You'll need to understand the file-path setting in the data-source URL associated with 'file-mode' (mydb.file.odb):

I don't understand it yet, but I'm hoping I will once I dig in...

Thanks!

Would you mind telling me where the setting can be found? Thank you so much!
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewishollow wrote:
Would you mind telling me where the setting can be found?

dacm wrote:
... manual setup instructions ...

lewishollow
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dacm wrote:
lewishollow wrote:
Would you mind telling me where the setting can be found?

dacm wrote:
... manual setup instructions ...

Of course. Thanks for the response.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for the quick reply but I was in a hurry and just sat down again since that very moment.
Those manual steps don't actually cover the location of the 'data source URL' settings in an existing Base file (.odb). That may have been why you were asking. Scroll-down to the graphics in this post for a better answer:
Data source URL settings
lewishollow
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dacm wrote:
I'm sorry for the quick reply but I was in a hurry and just sat down again since that very moment.
Those manual steps don't actually cover the location of the 'data source URL' settings in an existing Base file (.odb). That may have been why you were asking. Scroll-down to the graphics in this post for a better answer:
Data source URL settings

I really appreciate your help, and I hope I'm not coming off as annoying by asking all of these questions. I have tried following instructions to no avail. I got to the point of using the mydb installer to make a functional multi-mode database, but when I moved it to Mac (OS 10.5.Cool, I couldn't get it to load the Java driver (I even downloaded the hsql.jar separately and pointed to that), I couldn't get the org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver to load, nor could I find it anywhere, and when I updated the datasource URL to point at the location of the mydb file, it still wouldn't connect to the DB.

Any help or any more detailed instructions for doing this on mac would be very very much appreciated. The Manual steps on the link you sent before just don't seem to be working for me.

Thank you!
fredbram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Getting Closer Reply with quote

I'm trying to upgrade to a multi-mode database, started a couple of months ago, and then had to hold off until we got new server software, as the old would not support it.
So, I have migrated my "embedded" database, and it works fine on my server, but I'm having trouble gaining access from a work station.
I'm not sure, but part of the issue may be that I had to move the mydb folder from users/public/databases because that is not a shared part of our server. Please bear with me, as I'm not an it person, but we have a folder called "company" on an E drive, rather than the C drive where the public folder is, and that is our shared data. So, I moved the mydb folder and everything in it into the company folder. Is that why Ooo can't find the data on my workstation? And if so, is there an easy fix? Or, am I missing some other step?
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Closer Reply with quote

fredbram wrote:
I'm trying to upgrade to a multi-mode database...it works fine on my server, but I'm having trouble gaining access from a work station....I moved the 'mydb' folder and everything in it into the 'company' folder...Is that why Ooo can't find the data on my workstation?

Okay, it appears that you're using the built-in HSQLDB 1.8 in server-mode successfully on the server. Nice job! The location of the 'mydb' folder is irrelevant for server-mode access, so that's not the problem.

Take a look at these links:
[Tutorial] Avoid data loss by avoiding "Embedded databases" wrote:
Note that each computer involved in 'server mode' database-access must be configured with this 'multi-mode' HSQLDB support. This can be accomplished on Windows PC's by running the 'quick fix' (mydb.exe) or HSQLDB 2.x installer (hsqldb2_OOo.exe) as applicable, on each machine. Otherwise follow the manual steps available at the 'Quick FIx' link below.

[Tutorial] Avoid data loss by avoiding "Embedded databases" wrote:

Running a "multi-mode database" in a multi-user environment (MS Windows oriented steps with graphics)
Server Mode Startup, Shutdown and Authentication Options (Windows-specific discussion with wider application)
Client Computer Setup (when using 'server mode' with networked computers)

Now then...
Are you using a script file to start HSQLDB in server-mode on the server (like the provided 'START.vbs' and associated batch files on a Windows machine)?
If you're using the Windows batch files, did you eliminate ';shutdown=true' from 'server.start.bat'?
Did you setup the IP address or name of the server in your mydb.server.odb file?
Did you configure the clients for 'multi-mode' support (run 'mydb.exe' on Windows clients while skipping the .odb file installation options)?
Once the HSQLDB engine is up and running in server-mode, you should click directly on the mydb.server.odb file located on the server to start Base from the workstations/clients. Or, you can distribute a local copy of this file to each client, but that's a little more work, especially as you make changes to the Forms, Reports, etc.
Eventually, you should register the central .odb file on each client for wider access from other Office apps like Writer, Calc, etc.
fredbram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears I still have some work to do.

I have some confusion about which of the 3 downloads I should be running on the server and which on the workstations. There is mydb.exe (it seems you're saying that is what I need on each workstation, minus the .odb file installation options?), and then there is also the hsqldb2_Ooo.exe and the hsqldb2_mydb.exe, and I 'm not sure which I should be running on the server, or if either can work.

I'd like to get that cleared up, then I'll attack the other issues that you raised, which I'm not doing any of yet.

Thanks.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredbram wrote:
I have some confusion about...mydb.exe...hsqldb2_Ooo.exe...hsqldb2_mydb.exe

Well the latter two files are associated with the newer version of HSQLDB 2.x. Let's not go that route until you have everything working as it will only add confusion to the current troubleshooting.
fredbram
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I went through the "Running a "multi-mode" database in a multi-user environment" steps as outlined:
Steps 1-9 in "Setting up the host computer" seemed to go fine. Except, and this maybe isn't a problem, I couldn't see my form when in mydb.server.odb, only my table.

But, when I test on the client computer, I get an error when I click the Tables icon. Socket creation error.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: