OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to Filter out Duplicate without filtering out spaces?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihavequestions

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: How to Filter out Duplicate without filtering out spaces? Reply with quote

I'm setting up a massive contact database, and I'm encountering a problem, due to my many duplication in subscribers; and many spaces left blank in certain columns. For example I have certain columns that will have names in them but then some that might not but they will have an email and a phone# in the same row. When I try to filter duplications out with the spaces it janks the list out of order. Crying or Very sad This is very annoying please help.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Filter out Duplicate without filtering out spaces Reply with quote

Ihavequestions wrote:
I'm setting up a massive contact database, and I'm encountering a problem, due to my many duplication in subscribers; and many spaces left blank in certain columns. For example I have certain columns that will have names in them but then some that might not but they will have an email and a phone# in the same row. When I try to filter duplications out with the spaces it janks the list out of order. Crying or Very sad This is very annoying please help.

Wel, my first thought is to suggest using a database not a spreadsheet but this is a general observation. I'm not much of a database user but I suspect that a single table db would be a start.

However since your data is currently in a calc sheet let's see what you are doing.

What are you filtering on?
Can you explain a bit what you mean when you say "it janks [sic] the list out of order".
Do you mean that various cells in a row suddenly are in a different row.? That is , a contact row is no longer intact?

What are you selecting when you apply the filtre (the entire data set or a subset)? If a subset is it a subset of the columns or a subset of the rows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: