OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Microsoft WARNING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomg303

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Microsoft WARNING Reply with quote

While attempting to download VM Virtual Box the download was interrupted with as warning from Microsoft that this application has not passed the Microsoft logo test and could damage my OS. I am currently using Windows XP Pro. Is this a factual warning? Can I safely ignore the MS warning?
nhlivefree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Warning Reply with quote

MS is dead set against anything that it has not created. I've used Open Office on several of my machines running Windows XP with no problems. I ignored all warnings from MS and the world didn't come to an end--however I knew that Open Office was legit, other sites I would heed the warnings until I was sure they were OK
keme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As virtualising works at a fairly deep system level, it has the potential to do damage. However, I have run Virtual Box on Windows XP pro, Windows 7 and Mac OS-X, using Windows XP/Vista/7 and several linux and BSD varieties as guest OS, and have never had a problem with the host OS as a result.

It's a factual warning to the extent that you install something that works on system level, but is not certified by MS. You will get the same warning if you install device drivers that are not certified by MS. However, in my experience there is no problem with using it.
tomg303

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: MICROSOFT WARNING Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the sage advice.......
floris_v

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that it's just a legal disclaimer - if non-certified software causes any damage, MS isn't to blame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: