OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

protection fails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: protection fails Reply with quote

Is there a proper procedure to protect a sheet/document? I use a password to protect the sheet from being opened, which is working fine, but when I try to password protect the document from modification is does not work everytime. I can't seem to figure out what I have done differently. I will create a spreadsheet, protect the sheet and document and then do a save as with password protection and it dosen't always open back up with the document protected from modification. The password to open the document works everytime. I'm using ver. 1.1.1, is this a possible bug or is it me?
Martin Neyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Sheet/Document protection Reply with quote

Hi Tommy,
When you are protecting the Document you are NOT protecting separate sheets.
You are protecting the whole document from erasing the sheets, adding sheets etc.
If you want to protect formulas or data against changes you must protect the Sheet.
Additionally you can hide the sheet, or column(s) or row(s).
And of cause do not forget about specific cells protection using:
Format-Cells-Cell Protection
from top bar menu.
Regards,
MN
Cool
Tommy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Protection Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. If I want to protect the entries in a spreadsheet and specifie protect sheet and document, shouldn't that protect the data from being changed? We have a form created in Excel that I have converted to a .sxc. When I do the above to protect and save as such, you can still open the document and make changes without suppling the password. But when I just create a test sheet in OOo from scratch it seems to work properly. Is my problem with converting the original form from a .xls to a .sxc format or does this have to do with Issue 7137 that I have found posted? Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Tommy
tommy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Protection Reply with quote

Created a new .sxc template and it apperars to work correctly. I guess when converting an xls to sxc was causing the problem. Glad to know it works but now have to redo all my forms. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: