OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

chapter page breaks - page 1 of chapter 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: chapter page breaks - page 1 of chapter 1 Reply with quote

I have a book about 150 pages. I want each chapter to start at the top of a page (with a page break) and I want the page numbering to start at page 1 on the first page of Chapter 1. So far I can only do this if I put in manual page breaks at the start of each chapter. Because I need chapter 1 to have a manual page break with a page number start at 1 but I want the page numbers on all of the other chapters to just continue on.

If I put the page break in the chapter style then I can't start the page number at 1 on chapter 1.

I can have a special different chapter 1 style but then I can't use the chapter style to create the table of contents.

Is there anyway to have a page break in the chapter style and start page numbers at page 1 of chapter 1?

It seems a simple and obvious thing to want to do.
I'm using neooffice3.1 on mac 10.5.8
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: chapter page breaks - page 1 of chapter 1 Reply with quote

kh wrote:

If I put the page break in the chapter style then I can't start the page number at 1 on chapter 1.

Yes you can. Put the cursor in the very first paragraph of the chapter, then Format - Paragraph.

Including your page break in the chapter heading style like you do is the perfect approach.
kh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: chapter page breaks - page 1 of chapter 1 Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
kh wrote:

Yes you can. Put the cursor in the very first paragraph of the chapter, then Format - Paragraph.

Including your page break in the chapter heading style like you do is the perfect approach.

Thanks. I tried it and it worked. Didn't even have to do the paragraph thing, it just worked anyway. Not sure why it worked but this is better than manual page breaks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: