OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Best way to achieve many different footers and headers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherryng256
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Best way to achieve many different footers and headers Reply with quote

Hello! Very Happy

I am looking to create a document that mimics the look of the SAT. This means that there are 10 sections, each of which has a different header. Then, within each section, some pages have a footer that says "continue" while the last page of each section has a footer that says "stop."

I browsed the forums and found that this could be achieved with page styles, but since I can't seem to figure out a way to separate the headers and footers, it seems that this will require setting up 20 different page styles. Also, every time to close the document, all the styles that I created disappear.

Does anyone know of a better way to do it than to set up 20 different page styles? Or do you have any tips for being more efficient?
floris_v

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sections are like chapters, with headings, you can use the heading 1 style and with the chapter title field in the header you can get your title with just 1 page style. The problem is with your last page in a section: Writer doesn't have a means to treat the last page in a set differently from the rest, so all you can do is insert a manual page break just before the last page. So you can get along with two, possibly three page styles: default for all but the last pages, with the chapter title field in the heading and "Continue" in the footer, and one for the last page in a section.

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
cherryng256
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes sense.

This is probably a silly question, but how does one designate chapters in the document?

Thanks for being so patient Smile
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapters are marked with (default) the heading 1 paragraph style. You can select another style in Tools - Outline numbering.
cherryng256
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand how to use fields to label the headers, but I can't figure out how chapters work. I went to tools > outline numbering, and played around with the settings, but I haven't had any luck. Is there a really dumbed-down tutorial for how to create chapters?
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there isn't, because you're making it too hard for yourself. You assign the heading 1 style (or whatever style you have linked to level 1 in Outline numbering) to a heading, and then you have created a chapter. That's really all there is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: