OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem typing text in text boxes,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoseWind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Problem typing text in text boxes, Reply with quote

I have a few paragraphs of text pasted into a text box which looked fine. Later after other editing, and probably resizing that text font I noticed that there were unwanted line breaks and characters missing inside the text box.

It seems that "pr" "br" "$" now all get replaced by line breaks. This does not seem to happen outside the text box.

I am trying to produce my father's memorial notice, and going a bit crazy here, can anyone help me?

I am using 3.2.1 on Windows XP Home, SP3

New info: copy & paste into TextPad w/View visible spaces and my invisible "p" & "$" are there, no extra spaces, etc. It all looks fine.
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't reproduce that, but maybe it's more specific than what I gather from your description. Did you copy that text from some other editor or from a web site?
RoseWind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Problem typing text in text boxes, follow up Reply with quote

I cut the three paragraphs out, pasted to my text editor, then recopied & pasted it back. I think that should have removed hidden formatting. A numeric combination (35) produced a line break also. The text was apparently being processed as formatting input.

Work around: deleting the text box, and creating a new one allowed me to repaste the same text from my editor without this problem.

>> !! So much for the WORKAROUND!! All seemed good, I printed my proof on fancy paper, then tweaked the page margins and adjusted some text box alignments for a final version. Today I opened it, it looked fine, and I saved it as a Word doc to send the family an electronic preview. Next I re-open my odt file, and it is a complete mess! line breaks all over the place, an extra page, and just horrible! The cursor is sitting in the middle of page two, with "Preformatted Text" displayed in the Styles and Format selection field.

>> So I looked for a backup file in the Application Data directory tree, but nothing in the backup folder :-(

Last edited by RoseWind on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:46 am; edited 2 times in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you paste it from? Please keep in mind that you can help other people with the same problem when you give that information. You don't have to be too specific. I can only say that if OOo does interpret perfectly normal characters as control characters, something is seriously wrong, but as it's extremely unlikely that OOo is to blame here, there might be something wrong with either the installation or with your computer,
RoseWind
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original paste was a portion of a Thunderbird email message. When I save that message as html, I see is the following markup:

<div class="moz-text-plain"><pre wrap>

This is properly closed in the email source, miay not have been in my paste...

Note that at first the text looked fine, and that I was even able to edit that text (within the text box), changing the font size, inserting a phrase, selecting and making part of it bold, more than once before the problem ever appeared.After seeing the problem, I selected the text and removed formatting inside OO, which did not help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: