OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Importing a spreadsheet into Base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lecmac
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Importing a spreadsheet into Base Reply with quote

I have a TABLE and FORM made up like I want it in BASE. How can I import a spreadsheet into this TABLE that I have in BASE?
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can import a spreadsheet directly into a pre-configured table.
I presume your form relies on the name of your pre-configured table, so I would make backup copies of everything and proceed to:
1) rename the existing table in Base
2) open the spreadsheet in Calc, side-by-side with Base still running
3) "Select All" by clicking on the upper left-corner of your spreadsheet in Calc
4) Click & drag the spreadsheet selection onto the "Tables" icon in Base
5) follow the popup wizard in Base to create a new table from the spreadsheet data
6) rename the new table using the original table's name so it will work with your form
lecmac
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Importing a Spreadsheet into base Reply with quote

Your instructions 1-4 worked perfectly. When I got to #5 the table popup wizard in Base is gray and would not let me create a new table from the spreadsheet data. What am I doing wrong?
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lecmac:

You asked:

lecmac wrote:
import a spreadsheet into this TABLE

I will assume, what you want to do is ONLY import ( your word, not mine Smile ) the SPREADSHEET DATA, that is, so the SPREADSHEET DATA will be 'inserted' into NEW ROWS of your PRE-EXISTING DATABASE TABLE. Remember, database referential integrity will have to be maintained . . . that is . . . it will NOT allow you to insert DUPLICATE rows . . . based on your Primary Key. Smile

If so, follow these directions:
  1. Open your database file ( *.odb )
  2. Press the Table icon on the left
  3. Open your Calc spreadsheet
  4. Copy to the clipboard, the rows you want to INSERT in the database table ( this means you have to select the Calc rows INCLUDING a row title for each column )
  5. Right click on the database table ( *.odb ) that you want to INSERT rows
  6. From the drop-down menu . . . choose . . . Paste
  7. In the Copy Table dialog ( screen ) . . . the Table name should be the same as the table that will receive the new data AND in the Options section . . . choose Append data radio button
  8. Press the Next> button
  9. In the Assign Columns dialog . . . make sure the correct columns of the Spreadsheet 'align' to the correct columns of the database table
  10. Press the Create button
  11. Smile and say: "Gee Sliderule, that was easy. Now, all I have to do is let the forum know this worked, and, add the word [Solved] to the Title of this forum post ( see instructions below ).
I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
lecmac
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Not successful but will keep trying Reply with quote

I have tried to follow your instructions and haven't been successful. Either I am too dumb to make it work or I don't understand what you mean by "Remember, database referential integrity will have to be maintained . . . that is . . . it will NOT allow you to insert DUPLICATE rows . . . based on your Primary Key. "
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lecmac:

You said:

lecmac wrote:
I have tried to follow your instructions and haven't been successful. Either I am too dumb to make it work or I don't understand what you mean by "Remember, database referential integrity will have to be maintained . . . that is . . . it will NOT allow you to insert DUPLICATE rows . . . based on your Primary Key. "

A quick explanation. A database table MUST contain a Primary Key.

A Primary Key means, the field or fields that comprise the Primary Key MUST make the rows UNIQUE. If, for example, you have a table of Books, and, the primary key is "TITLE" . . . if you attempt to INSERT ( append ) data to a table, any record with a DUPLICATE value for "TITLE" . . . will result in an error, and, not be able to INSERT ( append ) the data.

I hope that is clear.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
lecmac
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sliderrule,

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I had followed that rule with my importing data into my file but I will continue to try as I get time. I do appreciate all you have done to help. I cannot say resolved but hope I can soon. Razz Razz Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: