OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

error msg: "Can't create documet" when creating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnroger
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: error msg: "Can't create documet" when creating Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi, what a helpful community. I'll gladly assist if I ever get the hang of OO.

Trying to create a Master Doc. Have created them before experimentally but never successfully completed a project using one.

Have a three page chapter TEMPLATE with first, left, right page styles.
SAVED as a style
I try to make this a Master Doc
Error msg: Can't create document.

Have a large file of OO forum pages and pdfs on this and related page style and Master Doc matters. What am i Missing?

Very Happy
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I correctly understand what you are trying to do you need a bit of fiddly setting up first but then it should all work.

create a document and edit the styles to be the way you want.
set the page to page style 'first page'
Edit the page style to your requirements (adding headers and footers as required) and then make sure the next style is set to 'right page' (under the organiser tab for page style)
now insert a page break
your new page should already be 'right page'
edit the style to your requirements and make sure the next style is 'left page'
Insert a page break
your new page should already be' left page'
edit the style to your requirements and make sure the next style is 'right page'

Assuming all your sub documents will start with a 'heading 1' style heading do this -
Edit the 'heading 1' style to 'insert page break before' on the text flow tab and add 'using style' 'first page'.

Delete all the page breaks

Now save your document as a template (if you plan to use this set up again)
Then on this document or a new one based on your new template do File>Send>Create Master
Now you have a new master document that you can start inserting files into. Providing each inserted file starts with a heading using 'heading 1' each document will start on a new page (style 'first page') with all the remaining pages set as either 'left page' or 'right page'.
If you need a ToC or something else at the start of the master doc, add it in before inserting documents as reset the page style to something suitable if necessary.
makelovenotwar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Can't create document Reply with quote

Wow! your instructions work! Tried many times to create a Master Document before. Thank you my friend. Wink
peterroots
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to be of help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: