OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybergeek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: How to upgrade Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have OO 1.1.0 installed in my win2k system. How do I upgrade it to OO 1.1.1? Must I delete the old installation or can I overwrite it with the new installation?

Thanks Cool
beonex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybergeek you must delete the old version and install and after that install 1.1.1
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: needn't Reply with quote

I think you needn't unistall the old one. I simply installed into a different library. Experts suggest to keep the old one until you are sure the new one also works properly for you.
cybergeek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Done Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I deleted the old version and installed the new one. But it would have been better if they had supplied an upgrade option Sad
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update option exists (is a choice when you start the installer and a old installation is detected); the problem is that this is not absolutely recommended. It could appear problems during updates with any program (specially in windows ) A fresh install is ever a good council...
Good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not from v1.1.0 to v1.1.1 Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yupp, also not from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2, although the documentation says an installed version will be detected.
Dunno, how to enable this. But what I read from this forum, is to uninstall the old version anyway.

CU
Thomas
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to this.

OOo will not install if it finds it has already been installed. For this purpose it will see 1.1.0, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 as the same application. Going from 1.0.x to 1.1.x will allow an upgrade option.

My recommendation would be:

Keep your main OOo directory simply called OpenOffice

When testing a new version install into a different directory (eg 1.1.0, 1.1.1 etc)
When you are happy with the new version you can install it into the main OOo directory.
This will enable you to use your existing settings with the new version.

That may seem a bit long winded. As an alternative as it is reasonable to assume that a new proper release is safe to use you could simply uninstall the old version and install the new. It would make sense to retain the original setup file for the old one though until you are happy that you won't need to go back (which you can very easily do).

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: