OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can OpenOffice Spell Check for Outlook Express?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheriffHippo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Can OpenOffice Spell Check for Outlook Express? Reply with quote

Hello,

On my most recent install of Windows XP, I have set up OpenOffice for the first time. I really like it so far, but I need help with an issue.

Because I do not have MS Office installed, the "spell check" feature in Outlook Express is grayed out.

Is it possible to make OpenOffice spell check within Outlook Express?

Thank you in advance.
dill
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't do as far as i know
Bowties

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great example of Microsoft using strong arm tactics to get people to use Office. There's no reason why Outlook Express can't have its own spell checker.

I suggest you download mozilla or netscape and use the mail client on that. It has all the features of Outlook Express and then some. It's also more compatible with open standards (like IMAP, which MS doesn't support well) and it has a BUILT-IN spell-checker.
R!chard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can OpenOffice Spell Check for Outlook Express? Reply with quote

SheriffHippo wrote:
Hello,

On my most recent install of Windows XP, I have set up OpenOffice for the first time. I really like it so far, but I need help with an issue.

Because I do not have MS Office installed, the "spell check" feature in Outlook Express is grayed out.

Is it possible to make OpenOffice spell check within Outlook Express?

Thank you in advance.

You cannot get the OpenOffice spell checker to work, but there is an alternative. There is a free download spell checker here http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2952&cat=10
That works just great. I use it myself.
nobody

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Spell check using Outlook Express Reply with quote

Hi,

Obtain a copy of the file csapi3t1.dll and place it in the folder "Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof".

Copies of this file may be extracted from the file mailnews.cab in an Internet Explorer 5.0 or 5.5 distribution set, the file win98_27.cab on a Windows 98 CD, or the file Win_10.cab on a Windows Me CD.

Andrew
nobody

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Spell check Reply with quote

If you can't get a copy of the dll, you can download it from here.
http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/index.html
Patrick
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to fix that problem I just did away with anything MS except the OS itself, I'm using a mail program called The Bat and it is great, as good as Outlook Express without all the fluff and has it's own Spell Checker built in. It's not free but it is shareware that is very inexpensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a copy of csapi3t1.dll if you have your WinXp installation disc. I followed steps at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm and it solved the spell check problem in Outlook Express (problem originated because I have Office 95 didn't provide it for OE 6.
Dave / N4GMU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spell check Reply with quote

nobody wrote:
If you can't get a copy of the dll, you can download it from here.
http://www.tech-pro.co.uk/index.html

Works as advertised..THANKS.. so there Mr. Bill the consumer has outsmarted you once again.
curtta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: spell checker not there on Outlook express Reply with quote

I also use Outlook express on Win XP and I do not have MS Office, but I do have spell check on it and always have. The reason I know I always had it with Express is because I have always had it set to do an auto spell check before the e-mail is sent.
pipe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: did not work for me Reply with quote

I tried this, but had no folder in Microsoft Shared named proof so I created it and copied csapi311.dll to it. The spell checker in Outlook Express is still grayed out, did I miss something? I have an XP disc, why did it not create a folder named Proof, when XP installed? I still have a hard drive with Win 95 on this computer ( it is not long away from being reformated to get me some more room), the old operating system before I upgraded to XP resides on it. Spell Checker always worked in the old OS, should I copy MSWord over to the new XP hard drive? Reason I like and am getting used to using Open Office is it can open Excell files which the old 95 system could not. Reason I need a spell checker, can not even spell excell, as above. Help,? thanks.
Plukaduk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here and download and install Outlook Express Spell Checker, it's freeware and contains no spyware...

http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/
dhanjit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another similar spell checker for Outlook Express is here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joeyr76/pc/oespell.html

It adds the English United Kingdom and English Australia dictionaries.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OpenOffice spellchecker works in Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird mail. You just link your OOo .dic and.aff files to the Mozilla myspell directory and away you go.

Works on both Windows and Linux.
how do i get color #ffooo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
You have a copy of csapi3t1.dll if you have your WinXp installation disc. I followed steps at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm and it solved the spell check problem in Outlook Express (problem originated because I have Office 95 didn't provide it for OE 6.
Quote:
Code:
[list][list=][b][i][url][/url][/i][/b][/list][/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: