OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Reference a text box in a SUM formula?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvswd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reference a text box in a SUM formula? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a database I have created to keep track of production units on the factory floor.

I am attempting to create a report, and not having much success getting the look that I want.

The data comes from the UNITDATA table, which has the following fields:
recordid - autonumber and primary key
date
employee
production type - which has 3 possible outcomes - PRODUCTIVE, NON-PRODUCTIVE, or REWORK
units

I created a simply query so I can specify a date range, and want a report with the dates down the page, and PRODUCTIVE, NON-PRODUCTIVE, and REWORK across the top.

I created a text box called PROD, which had the following formula IF([PRODUCTION TYPE]="PRODUCTIVE";[UNITS];0), so that it would list the values in "PRODUCTIVE" type only, and have a zero for the other values. I figure I could replicate this textbox for the other two types that exist.

Now, I need to sum the PROD text box...how can I do that? Then, I can just move the text boxes to where I want them on the report?

Thanks in advance.
nvswd Smile
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

FWIW I find it easier to use Calc to produce reports of this type from data held in a Base registered database table. Open a new Calc spreadsheet, press f4 to open the link to the registered database.

It is then a relatively simple matter to filter the beamer (upper window) table to the required date range. Copy the resulting records and paste in the spreadsheet. You can then perform the required display and calculations more easily in Calc - even data pilots. One of the great strengths of OOo Base is that it works well with Calc and Writer.
nvswd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arineckaig wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

FWIW I find it easier to use Calc to produce reports of this type from data held in a Base registered database table.

Wow! Thanks for that - might just do that Smile
nvswd
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thought on that, I would like the report to be 'dynamic' - in that I don't want to have to recreate the calc spreadsheet each time new data is added. Is there some documentation on how base and calc work together that I can reference?
Arineckaig
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want to have to recreate the calc spreadsheet each time new data is added. Is there some documentation on how base and calc work together that I can reference

It is possible to save the Calc spreadsheet that you have created as an independent document or as a type of template. Villeroy is far more experienced than I on using Calc with Base, and I would suggest searching his posts on both forums but start with:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=18511
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: