OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Background music ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see the option to play a music file throughout a presentation in Impress ?
Yes
82%
 82%  [ 32 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Never used this option before
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 39

DreamShaper78

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Background music ... Reply with quote

Hi,

Like everybody here, I'm truly happy to use OOo everyday. My father has an old MS Office version and I want him to change for OOo soon. But here's the problem ... He makes a lot of PowerPoint presentations with ... BACKGROUND MUSIC !!!

I know that right now there's NO WAY to put music files throughout a presentation in OOo 2.0.2 and I also know that someone created a Macro that starts an external player (which is, by the way, a really imaginative alternative ...). But OOo is supposed to let me do EVERYTHING that I did in MS Office ...

So, I hope that someone who's responsible for the developpement of future versions of OOo will read this and hear my request : PLEASE !!! Put the option to play a music file throughout a presentation in Impress !!!!! That's the only thing missing ... Geez ... You put a 3D shaping tool with ligntning source and everything (which I love by the way ...). I can't understand why I can do this and not put a simple MP3 in the background of my presentation ...

OR ... If this option is already in OOo 2.0.2, can someone helps me by telling me how to activate it ???

A loyal OOo user who wants to convert everybody to change ... When you'll put this option in !!!! Very Happy
Guest 2.0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is already there. "Insert->Movie and Sound" from the menu.
DreamShaper78

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Yes but no ... Reply with quote

To Guest 2.0 : It's true that you can insert a sound ... But he will play for only one slide, than he will stop ...

By the way, someone found a "near perfect" way to put a music file in the background of a presentation (and he's from Quebec, just like me ... I'm so proud !).

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=102606#102606

Go to the last post, homaquebecbis explains how to let a music file plays until the end of ... the file !!! So if your slideshow is lenghter than the music file well ... Pobody's nerfect !!! Laughing

But I still want you to answer the poll and I still hope that the developpeemnt team of OOo wil put the option to insert a music file for all the presentation, like in MS PowerPoint ...

Have a nice day !
Guest 2.0
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes Smile I see what you mean, since there are many reasons to want to do this. For example, one could even have the music playing on earphones to help keep the presentation within a certain time limit. Being able to use a familiar song could make things easier.
Gogsy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me too, this is the one reason I can't switch over to Impress. The ability to play music throughout the length of the presentation is a basic feature in my opinion, I use it a lot in Powerpoint, how it was missed in Impress I'll never know. Hopefully it will be rectified soon, does anyone know any firm details as to its future inclusion or are there still no plans to include it?
9point9

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOoForum is a users forum so is not a useful place to ask for feature requests, that should be done in IssueZilla.

This is already in IssueZilla:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=24969

Vote for that issue and put your comments there if you want something done. It's currently targetted for OOo later.

Personally, I don't have a need to do such a thing. A presentation should be you talking to the audience, why add music to it?

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
daiax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I have just started a charity and would love to be able to use OOo but I need to be able to play a backing track as well. MS Office also allows you to play a track directly from a CD avoiding the need to rip and copy the track. This issue appears to have been around a long time. I agree this is a basic function that is missing.
scienceguy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping into the fray a bit late, but I'd like to add my twopence worth anyway.

Having sound run continuously is such an obviously desireable feature that in my opinion it shouldn't wait for a new release, but ought to be treated as a bug fix.

There are those who frown on this feature and claim that the point of a presentation is to talk to your audience, not play music. True, perhaps, if you're presenting a paper at a conference. But if you, like me, give public lectures (on science, in my case), then you will know how captivated an audience can become if your presentation is accompanied by good music. I suppose that one could create a DVD for this purpose, but a presentation has the advantage of allowing you to stop and start at appropriate places. Another consideration is that Linux users don't want to have to resort to using MS PowerPoint.

Anyway, the issue has been reported here http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=24969. It might be an idea to vote for it. At present there are some 200 plus votes for this issue.
bettny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: OMG Reply with quote

hi
i though it would be a great fathers day persent for my dad if i made a OOo presentation of all the pics of us.
i was getting on GREAT Very Happy untill that is i tried to use one of his fav songs.
i have been trying to get the song which is an MP3 to play without stopping untill the last slide.
every time i think ive got it i play the slide show and after every slide the song stops and starts again for the next, i only get 20sec's into the song.
this problem is driving me mad.
i have been trying to do this for weeks now and its lucky he doesnt live with me!
the only way i can think of solving my problem is a long shot, i keep thinking what if i could edit the song.
put only the first 20sec's on the first slide then find a way to cut and paste the next 20 sec's onto the next slide and so on.
this may sound mad but its doing my head in!!!!!!!!
can this be done????? Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
someone please help i would give my right arm for a fix Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature is now available in OOo 2.3. IIRC, the way it works you assign a transition sound to one slide and then it continues to play as long as each next slide transition has no associated sound.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=238108#238108
* BleachBit
</signature>
guyver2095

Location: Pedernal 502 ciudad de México, Distrito Federal, México, CP. 01900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can play a song or multiple songs over the presentation, just add the extra gstreamer plugins, and then, Start impress and in the tab trransistion choose sound and check the repeat until the next sound check box.

Just don't apply to all slides and thats all.

Note if you insert an audio or video, remeber to "link the file with the check box located in the inferior left cornesr of the dialog box.

Note 2 If you cant do the forst step or you cant see the name of the song you selected in slide trandition tab uninstall dmaths if you have it and then reinstall it from the original site with the addons manager.

Ckeck your local language settings. Sometimes you can't open files with special characters like spanish accents or similar.

Greetings from Mexico.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: