OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't run after windows update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gomac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Can't run after windows update Reply with quote

I'm running Open Office 1.1.2 on Windows XP Home and it worked fine. THen I got the latest security updates from Microsoft and I now when I try to run the program I get this message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

It is in reference to soffice.exe

I've tried unisntalling and re-installing OpenOffice, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see this a while back with Windows with ME. "Security" updates appeared to stop my StarOffice 5 from working. The only way I was able to get it back was to do an overlay reinstall of the OS.

Please note that I am not saying that in their updates MS deliberately disable competittors programs, although on occasions it might seem like they do! I suspect that there must simply be limitations as to the apps these updates are tested on and that OOo/SO does not feature.

Solutions for the typical user:

1. Get a bloody good firewall
2. Stop using outlook\express and IE
3. Think about whether you need Windows. Linux is far more secure, at the point of writing.

Ian
Gomac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i was playing around and found out

It does not load as previously stated, but it only does this when loaded from the start menu or soffice.exe. However it can be started through the Quickstarter on the taskbar loads OppenOffice fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is up with the ANTI-MS bullshit that everyone is yapping about?

Stop saying linux is the solution to every damn problem in windows. For a sensible user(Not defined), MS is perfectly secure. I do however wholeheartedly agree with #2 in your list (FireFox and ThunderBird or the Mozilla package are superiour replacements..) (MS vs. *nix is not supposed to be discussed in this thread..). Saying people should swap to linux when a problem appears is not helping everyone that are 'stuck' with Windows. Solving their problems on their platform also helps the OOo project as a whole.

Try removing one patch after another, and note the name down. When OO works, you'll see which one is to blame. See if that patch is needed for you (remember, not everyone should get all the updates, as they are fixes for specific problems not everyone has). You should also go search google for it to see if you can find anyone else with problems with that patch (it might confuse other programs aswell).

Are you using some old shortcut that might not have been updated with the new install?
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to agree to differ on the OS point. I use both Win and Lin. When I have a choice, I use the latter, but that's my personal opinion. My post was not anti-MS "bullshit" but it would seem that to issue updates without any apparent regard for their impact on 3rd party applications does not seem very good practice.

Suffice it to say that if MS had its way, things like Mozilla and OOo (in fact anything open source) would never have seen the light of day.

So far as the problem is concerned, could the update have changed the permissions for your OOo directory?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: