OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

soffice.exe has generated errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dthompson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: soffice.exe has generated errors Reply with quote

I have installed OpenOffice 1.02 on Win2K. When I try to run any of the programs I get the following error message:

Laughing soffice.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.

Elsewhere in this forum I noticed a reference to unicows.dll being required. I did a search and didn't find it on my system. Can anyone tell me where I can pick it up?

Thanks.
draude
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure unicows.dll will help you. It's only applicable to Windows 95, 98 and ME systems. You can get it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=582A9FF1-D491-49F9-9479-371EA97D5B38

It could be that your copy of OOo is bad. Try downloading again, uninstalling then reinstalling. You might also try 1.0.1 instead of 1.0.2 in case it's something specific to the newer release.

Good luck.
soffice.exe errors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hmmm... I have already done that a couple of times. Started with 1.01 and since it didn't work went to 1.0.2. Uninstalled 1.0.1 before installing 1.0.2. Same problem. Funny. I have installed this on Mac OS X under X11 and it works like a champ. Wasn't expecting a problem with Windows.

Does this product require a specific java runtime environement?
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you upgraded your Win2000 to the latest service pack? Could resove such problems.
dthompson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I have all updates applied to Win2K. Now I can't uninstall OpenOffice. I get the message INSTALL_INFO not found. Wierd. The .inf file is in the original install directory as well as the program directory where OOo is installed. Am I the only one having trouble getting this to run on Win2K? I have installed this on Window 98 and Mac OS X under X11 and everything works fine. Very puzzling.
dthompson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: errors! Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I give up. I tried installing the most current version of the Java SDK and then re-installed OOo. NO go, same error as before. Does anybody know of any problems running this on Win2K? Is anyone running it on Win2K?
rhone
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm running it on Win2k successfully. Version 1.0.2.

In answer to your question, no you don't need java. However, if you don't have java, you can't use java applets, javascript or JDBC. On my Win2k system, I don't have java installed and it runs fine. Maybe that's your problem?? Try installing it without java enabled.

You might also try installing in multi-user mode using the /net switch. Good luck.
jasonpassow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit this thread similar problems on Windows XP still troubleshooting any help with that would be appreciated. It used to run fine until my active directory got hosed. Now I think I am having problems with permission somewhere on my client machines. I am looking for invalid SID's and replaceing them with the correct ones. Iw ill let you know when I find the right one.
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2358#2358
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say (and I think I may be the only one) that I had fun and games with 1.0.2 on my Win 98 SE machine. It was far less stable than 1.0.1, crashing all the time and messing up documents which hitherto were spot on. I installed it several times, only to find myself reverting to 1.0.1 all the time, so I even went as far as deleting the install file.

Install the 1.1 beta, and see how you get on with that
thecoop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: soffice.exe has generated errors Reply with quote

dthompson wrote:
:cry: I give up. I tried installing the most current version of the Java SDK and then re-installed OOo. NO go, same error as before. Does anybody know of any problems running this on Win2K? Is anyone running it on Win2K?

Yes I got it working. Provided the user installing OOo was a member of the power users group. If I changed that to restricted users OOo didn't work at all just gave the error msg. There's at least one workaround though: I installed OOo 1.1 as the administrator using the /net switch. Then I had each restricted user install a network installation OOo from the folder where I previously installed it as the admin. The installation gave a warning about the program possibly not working right since it is not being installed by an admin user but so far I've had no problems. (The network installation per user saves a lot of disk space.)
evan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: uninstall openOffice on Mac g4 Reply with quote

after installing everything from the 169meg install .gz file from openoffice.org, I decided i just don't have the time to get into making it all work, and further, this is for my daughter's G4 laptop.

Being a windows user only, I haven't found any way to uninstall everything so that the computer is as it was before i started installing all the associated programs that let OpenOffice function .... any help would be appreciated

you can email me back at evan5760@bellsouth.net ... but i'll check back here also for a reply ... thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: