OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Save .odt contents to multiple formats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neanderslob
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Save .odt contents to multiple formats Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a bit of a goofy question about some file-saving acrobatics. I have a team working on a business plan via Dropbox (a cloud server). Most of us are Openoffice users but one guy, the accountant, has neither openoffice nor ms word on his computer. We plan on introducing him to Openoffice (don't worry) but we'd like him to be able to view our shared document before he sees the light on good software (it could take some time). Is there a way we could have the file automatically save to our shared .odt file AND to a shared pdf to keep him in the loop? If not, out of curiosity, is there a way to automatically save a single document to multiple files of different formats at once? Or is there a way to tell a PDF file (or any other file format) to detect changes within a .odt file and then automatically sync itself? I've got a couple workarounds in mind if this is just too out there but I'd like to know if this way is doable. Oh, and of course, thanks in advance! Very Happy
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDF import extension enables OOo to create ODT-PDF hybrid files, which any PDF reader should be able to open as any other PDF file and OOo can open as any other ODT file. From what I can work out you will need to have the PDF import extension installed on all the OOo installations you want to open the file with. The extension can be found here

Alternatively you could write a macro to save the changes to the file and export a PDF that overwrites the previously exported PDF, and get into the habit of using this macro instead of the usual "save" command.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

There are two extensions which might help you.

One is MultiDiff which is a sophisticated GUI interface for save as a copy of an open ODT file to DOC or PDF.

The second is ExportAsDoc (my extension) which installs a toolbar and menu which can save an open ODT directly to a location by pushing the button. This replicates the PDF buttons which come with OOo.

Phil
neanderslob
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll play around with those ideas.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday, December 06, 2010

As a result of this thread I updated my Export As Doc macro to be able to export and open ODT file to Txt, RTF, or PDF without using a GUI format. These formats are not turned on by default. One has to edit the macro to turn them on.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: