OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Number / Date Formatting Issues That I'd Like To Resolve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boawso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Number / Date Formatting Issues That I'd Like To Resolve Reply with quote

Hello, I'm using Calc to do some basic data entry.
OOo v1.0, Windows XP Pro w/SP 1

In some cases I want to enter a number like 4.1.1, however, Calc is force-formatting this to 04/01/2001. This isn't what I want at all. All I want is a simple 4.1.1 entry.

When I attempt to re-format the cell, the number is then modified to some odd calculation. Below is the .csv output from a sample spreadsheet that displays both kinds of errors.

How can I fix the preferences so that the cells accept my entries literally? Also, what's the deal with the weird number value (see 5.2.1 and 5.2.2, below)

Thanks

--BEGIN QUOTE--
"Shape",1.0,,"Home"
"Shape",2.0,,"Corporate Information"a
"Shape",2.1,,"What we do"
"Shape",2.2,,"Who we are"
"Shape",3.0,,"Our process"
"Shape",3.1,,"Discovery"
"Shape",3.2,,"Concept"
"Shape",3.3,,"Creation"
"Shape",3.4,,"Implementation"
"Shape",3.5,,"Rollout"
"Shape",3.6,,"Testing"
"Shape",4.0,,"Our Clients"
"Shape",4.1,,"Case Studies"
"Shape",04/01/2001,,"Web" //This SHOULD be 4.1.1, the app is forcing the date format.
"Shape",04/01/2002,,"CD-ROM and Kiosks" //This SHOULD be 4.1.2, the app is forcing the date format.
"Shape",04/01/2003,,"Print" //This SHOULD be 4.1.3, the app is forcing the date format.

"Shape",5.0,,"Contact Information"
"Shape",5.1,,"Location"
"Shape",5.2,,"Online inquiry form"
"Shape",37013,,"Inquiry form submitted" // This SHOULD be "5.2.1" the application altered the number to read this way after I tried to format the cell to "Numbers"
"Shape",37378,,"Inquiry form error" //Same as above. This should be "5.2.2"

--END QUOTE--
nosebleed
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reproduced your problem.
I think I may have found the solution.
I'm using 1.0.2 so this may be different.

Try format an empty cel and select user-defined. Click in "format code" and type what you want to show up in the cell (i.e. 4.1.1). Click OK. Then type "4.1.1" in the cell. This should work. However, this won't work if you type "0.0.0", for some reason. This is a workaround I found. Maybe one of the more experienced users here know how to make it work.
yogo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pretty simple explanation here. Cells are by default formatted as numbers. If something other than a number is inserted, Calc will try to change the format to the relevant one. In this case, since a real number does not have two decimal points, Calc figures it's a date and reformats the cell as such.

To remedy this, you can select the cells that will contain these non-standard numbers and format the cells as text PRIOR to inserting data. Or, as you're inserting data, precede the number with an apostrophe, e.g. '4.1.1. That should enter the number as text. Text is normally left-aligned so you may need to do some additional formatting to make things look right.
boawso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Fixed! Reply with quote

yogo wrote:
There's a pretty simple explanation here. Cells are by default formatted as numbers. If something other than a number is inserted, Calc will try to change the format to the relevant one. In this case, since a real number does not have two decimal points, Calc figures it's a date and reformats the cell as such.

Hey, thanks for the info/suggestion. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me naturally. Very Happy

All I needed to realize was that the 'type' of character didn't matter, just the correct values. Rolling Eyes

Again, thanks to you and Monstuh.

--

I still think the auto-calculation to the strange value is a <whisper>bug</whisper>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: