OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Loading external text

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelmer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Loading external text Reply with quote

Hello,
I got the following problem.
I try to load an .txt file with data into OpenOffice Calc. The data is seperated with ",".
I press 'Invoegen' [load] then 'Externe gegevens' [external data] and I select the .txt file, called mut.txt
Then there is a new window opening, called 'Textimport' [Textimport]. I select the option that the data is seperated with the , symbol and in the previeuw the data is vieuwed correctly. Now I press 'Ok' and I return to the 'Externe gegevens' window. Everything fine so far, but here, I cant press the 'Ok' button, only the 'Annuleren' [cancel] button! So i dont get the data into the spreadsheet document.

What am I doing rong?

Greetings, Jelmer.

p.s. sorry for my bad English.
p.p.s. i work with the Dutch OpenOffice.org, i tryed to translate the button names in the [ ].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not 'Invoegen' [load or insert] 'Externe gegevens' [external data] that is a text file.
You can Open one in Calc. Change the .txt extension to .csv or do File > Open and set the File Type to "Text CSV (*.csv *.txt)" which is far down on the file type list.
Jelmer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same problem, still can't press Ok in the Textimport window. The file is readed correctly, cause i see the good previeuw, but I only can press 'Cancel'.

Jelmer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the language problem I will repeat what I said before. You MUST Open a text file as a NEW Calc spreadsheet in the manner described above.

If this is what you are doing and it does not work then I do not know what else to say except that you might need to Repair your installation of OO.
mb02135
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Because of the language problem I will repeat what I said before. You MUST Open a text file as a NEW Calc spreadsheet in the manner described above.

If this is what you are doing and it does not work then I do not know what else to say except that you might need to Repair your installation of OO.

HOWEVER - even if you follow these instructions, there is a system flaw in OOo 1.1 and it will not correctly import text files. Data is imported into two rather than one line making it useless.

It is rumored that this has been corrected in version 2.0 but who knows. This is a major failure that has been ignored and needs to be addressed if OOo is to be ready for prime time in a commercial enviornment and not just a toy.
DiGro
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelmer,

JohnV is absolutely right, but there might be a minor language-problem here

I'll translate JohnV's answer, the essence of it, into Dutch:

Open een NIEUW werkbladdocument.
Kies Bestand > Openen
In het dialoogvenster moet je nu eerst onder Bestandstype even zoeken naar
Tekst CSV (*.csv *.txt) onder het gedeelte van de Werkbladdocumenten (het staat ongeveer halverwege)
Als je Tekst CSV (*.csv *.txt) hebt geselecteerd, kun je je te openen tekstbestand kiezen.
Het TekstImport dialoogvenster opent en ook de OK knop is beschikbaar.

This should work. Very Happy
Please try again and let us know

DiGro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: