OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problems with embedded images. (SOLVED in 3.4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Problems with embedded images. (SOLVED in 3.4) Reply with quote

There seem to be several threads related to this, but noone has reported exactly my problem. Here's the problem and my ad hoc solutions – but it would be nice if the problem were really solved in the next version of OOo.

I edit a small botanical magazine using OOo writer. You can see the results in pdf form on the Library and Archives Canada site:

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/201/300/sarracenia/2010/index.html

Articles are 3-6 pages often with several illustrations. I generally use three column text and embed the illustrations in the text. But some pages may have 1, 2 and 3 column text in different places.

I find I can overcome the "wandering" tendency of images by anchoring them to para and opening a new para at the point where I want the image. It's usually possible to disguise this by editing the text either side so that it looks like a continuous paragraph. Then I try to avoid dragging them about any more than absolutely necessary.

The real problem arises when re-opening a saved document. Writer seems to have great difficulty putting the images back in their proper places, despite having a memory of where they ought to be. The initial result, after some time while pictures are inserted hither and thither and then moved around, is often large pieces of white space and even blank pages. But the following almost always works.

Starting from the beginning of the document I scroll down until I find a spot where things are awry. I then try to identify the image that's causing the problem and cut it (right click), the text usually closes up around the space. Then (and this is how I know that writer really knows how it ought to be) I click on the “undo” button in the toolbar and 99% of the time the picture reappears in the correct position. I proceed through the document in this manner until I get to the end, often having to cut and undo half a dozen times, cumbersome but it works – usually!

Before making a final pdf version though it's a good idea to double check as often a few minor adjustments are still needed.

I have no experience with any office suites that have to be paid for!

I've tried tailoring my images in advance to be exactly the size I want by adjusting the number of pixels and the DPI using Irfanview, and also inceasing OOo's memory allocation. These don't seem to make any difference.

Last edited by howard on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you save as .odt (ODF format) or as .doc (Word format)? Working with graphics is tricky enough, saving in Word format can cause a lot of problems.

That magazine looks wonderful, by the way.

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always. odt - I never use .doc, unless I have to for some unenlightened other person. And I know that the conversion is bad on the odd occasions when I get stuff in .doc format with embedded images. - maybe a slight improvement lately.

Thanks for the compliment - just shows what you can do with OOo.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After messing around a lot with it I found that some glitches do occur when I changed page margins or font size - then sometimes a graphic would move to the wrong column. I anchored them as paragraph, and positioned them relative to paragraph area in the three columns part and relative to the page in single column pages. I inserted frames to hold the graphics, maybe that helped a bit. Of course I first kicked in all of the text and then inserted the graphics.
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While working on the latest issue today I found that if I continue to add more material without the cutting and undo trick I mentioned above it sometimes sorts it out by itself as I work.

When you say "frames" do you mean the frame that appears when adding a caption or something else?
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, images are automatically inserted in frames, but I used Insert - Frame, setting the width to what I want and height to Auto height to force the picture to accept the width and height that I want before it's inserted and gets the chance to blow things up by inserting itself at full size.
However, I think that it's not a good idea to add pictures as you write and edit content. It really messes things up as you have seen. It seems best to me to collect the text first, make the general lay-out and add the graphics when you know the work is pretty much done. Word nor Writer are good at keeping pictures and the like where they belong.
You can always keep a copy where you do add them so you have a general idea of how the document is going to look.
howard
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 months later and now using OOo 3.4 I find that this problem seems to have been solved. As far as I can see the old files that used to cause problems now load correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: