OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

[Almost solved]Recalculating your own function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiksu
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: [Almost solved]Recalculating your own function Reply with quote

How could i get my own function recalculated when the values in the source table change?

Let's say that i want to sum the values in col and row positions col1, row1 and col2, row2 and i write a function that does it. Here, i need to use the "basic way" to refer to the cell, ie. integer colNo and integer rowNo.

The result is correct when i type in the function in first time. It is also correct when the source values are changed and i copy paste the function to another cell but the function in the original cell remains unchanged.

The problem is that i cannot tell calc to recalculate the original function in the original cell. If i add some spaces in the function call in the original cell and hit return, the function is recalculated, but that does not seem as an elegant way.

Recalculate ie. F9 does not help.

Tiksu

Last edited by Tiksu on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
B Marcelly
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
That is normal. You are not following the philosophy of calc functions.
In a Basic function for Calc you should never directly address a cell. Or you will get problems like this one.

A Basic function for Calc should work from its arguments and only return a value (Double or String). An argument may be a cell range, then you get an array of values but not the address of the cell range. A correct Basic function for Calc is independent of the position of the cells.

Another solution to your problem may be a Basic routine run when you need it, by clicking a button for example. The routine then recalculates any cells you want, and even do other things (formatting, message, etc).

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 fr / Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 / LibreOffice 4.1.0
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
This forum is spammed, use instead Apache OpenOffice forums
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Ctrl+Shift+F9.
Tiksu
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the hints!

It seems that

JohnV wrote:
Try Ctrl+Shift+F9.

helps. I get the functions recalculated by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. In Basic, could it mean calculateAll.
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if you write a Calc function that is called as a calc function, you cannot directly modify any cells on the same sheet used to call the function. Doing otherwise is dangerous and should be expected to fail. it is not clear to me that this is what you mean, however.... Just wanted to mention it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: