OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

PDF Keeps getting Hijacked By OOo

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The Nountaineer
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: PDF Keeps getting Hijacked By OOo Reply with quote

Secunia PSI has alerted me that the 3.2.something version is insecure and I need to upgrade to 3.3. The problem is this: My PDF program is set as default and is being constantly hijacked by my currently installed version of OO. I set it as my default and every time I need to use my PDF program , it has been hijacked again by OO. Now, Why should I want to upgrade unless this issue can be fixed, or already has been? I am very irritated with OO!!
What is the solution to this issue?
_________________
Disabled Doer Of Many Things, Also Known As :
The Nountaineer which is my journalistic "Handle"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thomasjk
Super User
Super User


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 2374

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what do you mean your PDF is the default program? For what? Opening OOo files?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thomasjk
Super User
Super User


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 2374

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are not setting the file associations correctly. Right Click on any PDF file and select Open with and click Choose Default Program ( make sure the "Always use this program to open this type of file" box is checked). Select your PDF reader or browse to its location if its not already in the list. Select it and click OK.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859 for details if needed.

By default OOo would not be set to open PDF files.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freestuff1
General User
General User


Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that should fix it...however, I can't open any pdf files with OO

Last edited by freestuff1 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ed
Super User
Super User


Joined: 28 May 2003
Posts: 1041

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestuff1 wrote:
Yes, that should fix it...however, I can't open any pdf files with OO
You won't be able to open PDF files with OOo because it is not a PDF reader.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Nountaineer
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
I think you are not setting the file associations correctly. Right Click on any PDF file and select Open with and click Choose Default Program ( make sure the "Always use this program to open this type of file" box is checked). Select your PDF reader or browse to its location if its not already in the list. Select it and click OK.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859 for details if needed.

By default OOo would not be set to open PDF files.


I have done over and over what you have described because I am very familiar with the proper procedure for dealing with setting a certain program as default by right clicking and selecting "open with" and each time it will be set on OOo "highlighted" and each time it is necessary to choose again my default PDF reader! After that my reader also opens a window and asks if I want to set my reader as the default and each time I recheck the box just as I did after right clicking on the file and set that choice as default. Then every time I try to open another PDF, it has been hijacked and all of the images next to all of my PDF files have the OOo icon next to them. Each time I go through this process it resets and changes the icon back to my default reader icon. This has happened many times for the last month or two. This is why I am considering changing to another office program instead of upgrading OOo. Have I made myself clear this time?
Also, I do not understand why I did not receive notification that there were reply's since it is a default setting below this box!
_________________
Disabled Doer Of Many Things, Also Known As :
The Nountaineer which is my journalistic "Handle"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thomasjk
Super User
Super User


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 2374

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nountaineer said:
Quote:
and each time it is necessary to choose again my default PDF reader!

You have to use the same process to set your PDF reader as the default for PDF files. Right click on any PDF file and choose Open with and select Choose Default Program then select your PDF reader, Adobe etc. Make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" is checked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Nountaineer
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
The Nountaineer said:
Quote:
and each time it is necessary to choose again my default PDF reader!

You have to use the same process to set your PDF reader as the default for PDF files. Right click on any PDF file and choose Open with and select Choose Default Program then select your PDF reader, Adobe etc. Make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" is checked.

Did you even bother to read my last exhaustive explanation??? I told you that I have been doing exactly what you said because I am not a dummy! I know how to do it!!! Are you even listening to my explanation. It appears as if you totally ignore what I have written!!! The program is screwed-up!!!
_________________
Disabled Doer Of Many Things, Also Known As :
The Nountaineer which is my journalistic "Handle"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ftack
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 27 Jan 2003
Posts: 3102
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a problem with your operating system. Not with OOo. OOo will set file associations during installation for its own file formats, and for MS Office files if you explicitly check that option. It will never set file associations for PDF files. You always need to do this yourself. That file associations for PDF files in your case are always reverting to OOo can never be caused by OOo. Either you are missing something in trying to change the association, or there is an issue with your current installation at the OS level.
_________________
--
GNU/Linux (Ubuntu)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Nountaineer
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftack wrote:
This is a problem with your operating system. Not with OOo. OOo will set file associations during installation for its own file formats, and for MS Office files if you explicitly check that option. It will never set file associations for PDF files. You always need to do this yourself. That file associations for PDF files in your case are always reverting to OOo can never be caused by OOo. Either you are missing something in trying to change the association, or there is an issue with your current installation at the OS level.


"This has been an exercise in passing the buck" If there is a problem, and there is, it is with the installation of OOo and not my OS. I will uninstall OO. I am at a moderate webmaster level and know XP inside and out. You need to review your practices!
_________________
Disabled Doer Of Many Things, Also Known As :
The Nountaineer which is my journalistic "Handle"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thomasjk
Super User
Super User


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 2374

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I agree with ftack. Your OS is where the problem resides. I've been using OOo since V2 and have never seen it associate PDFs with Writer or any other part of the suite. No one here is passing the buck we are users just like you and have tried to help you solve your problem. You may want to find a local expert to sort this out for you because this is most definitely not an OOo caused problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Nountaineer
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjk wrote:
Sorry but I agree with ftack. Your OS is where the problem resides. I've been using OOo since V2 and have never seen it associate PDFs with Writer or any other part of the suite. No one here is passing the buck we are users just like you and have tried to help you solve your problem. You may want to find a local expert to sort this out for you because this is most definitely not an OOo caused problem.


Shortly after my last response I remembered that there was an update that was installed that concerned PDF file conversion, I believe. I have not taken the time yet to investigate it further but I suspect that the downloaded update may have something to do with it. Are you familiar with the update that I am referring to?
_________________
Disabled Doer Of Many Things, Also Known As :
The Nountaineer which is my journalistic "Handle"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thomasjk
Super User
Super User


Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Posts: 2374

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your referring to OOo there are no updates I'm aware of that could possibly cause this. The only other thing I can suggest is to use Revo Uninstaller Free to uninstall your PDF reader. Then re-install it. During the install process you should be able to make it the default for PDF files.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Nountaineer
General User
General User


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: PDF Hijacked Reply with quote

I just received an email stating that there was a new post, but I don't see one so I will give you one last update. I used the revo uninstaller. I also partially figured out what was happening: 1) when I tried to open a pdf, the OOo was the default for what-ever reason and when OOo tried to open the file it would immediatly start the convert to pdf function. There was an earlier update for that function that was installed, I do remember downloading it. It may not have installed properly or something else might have happened to get the processes crossed somehow. All that I can do is share with you the details and if no one else has had this problem before then it is one for the "higher-ups" to figure out if it happens to someone else. I hope that this added info. may help in some way.
_________________
Disabled Doer Of Many Things, Also Known As :
The Nountaineer which is my journalistic "Handle"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group