OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

IF function or Lookup????? Help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davey0710
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: IF function or Lookup????? Help!! Reply with quote

I am trying to do a cost sheet for a sandwich counter using Calc
I have a line for each filling, (about 30rows) although the cost changes dependant on the bread type used.
I have put the bread types with costs in a separate sheet.
the column next to where I want the result to appear I have used the Data Validation tool so I select the bread type from a list of preset values.
I will use the result to add to the other set costs in the process.
I initially used the IF function, although after reading about Lookup/Vlookup and Hlookup I think this may be more suitable, due to when you auto fill the formula in the next cells it also skips the cells I am extracting from down one in the formula aswell.

Could someone please give me some advice as to how to progress please, I have a standard knowledge of spreadsheets, so if the answer is quite complex I may need a bit of english explanation.

Thankyou in advance
keme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little detail here, so I just make one guess:You only want exact matches.
If so, make sure you use the optional fourth parameter to VLOOKUP()/HLOOKUP(), set to the value 0 (zero) or its equivalent logical value, FALSE.

Also, note that VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP makes a single (one dimensional) lookup using the first field of the data range (leftmost column/topmost row). If that doesn't fit your data, you need a MATCH()/INDEX() set. The LOOKUP() function, while offering some additional flexibility, does not have that optional "sorted" parameter which is used to restrict returns to exact matches. Instead it always assumes a sorted lookup vector, and returns the nearest match when no exact match is found.
davey0710
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies keme for lack of detail.

i will explain fully the end result at present i would like from this data, it has altered slightly although my question is still almost the same, it is still the same result i am trying to achieve.

I am using this as a starting point as once this has been cracked i am quite sure I can get the other elements i need in the same/similar way.

Sheet1 -
Column A has a list of sandwich fillings
Column B has a list of costs relating to the filling next to it

On sheet 2
Column 1 - I would like to have a dropdown box in a cell, from the range of Column A on sheet 1.
Once the description is selected from the drop done menu, I would then like the corresponding value from Column B on sheet1 to be shown next to the selection i have made on sheet2.

I no how to do this using the IF function although the amount of data in the range means i will be there for days using that particular function, I just thought there must be another way.

Does this make more sense or am i still being confusing??

I have tried using Match or index and cant seem to get it right.
davey0710
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone able to help???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: