OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Topic Reply Notification with a link that does not exist.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitonyak
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Topic Reply Notification with a link that does not exist. Reply with quote

If you subscribe to a topic, you receive an email notification when the thread is updated. Consider the following example:

Quote:
You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Toolbar and Navigation Help" at OOoForum.org. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=419730#419730

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=115580&unwatch=topic

The first link takes you directly to post number 419730. This is a link to a specific post. No other information is included in the URL to identify the topic. The topic is displayed because the post is associated with the topic.

If SPAM is posted to the topic, you will receive notification that the topic has been updated.

A moderator notices the SPAM and removes the post, but leaves the thread.

Now, you try to follow the link to the direct post that no longer exists.

Now look at the URL used to stop watching a topic. This URL contains a link to the post itself, and you can use that to find the post by removing &unwatch=topic from the end of the URL, leaving this link:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=115580

This link will take you directly to the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tytower
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not what is happening -you justremoved my last post but see the next thread on it . The numbers are either wrong or the processing is wrong - It needs fixing
Stop trying to justify a broken system and look deeper
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum software is antique and it will take some time before it gets updated, if that ever happens. Apart from that, all active forum members are volunteers, we don't get paid to hang around here. So please give us some slack.
I don't like this "feature" of the forum software as well, and as I have made many posts in many threads, when a spammer posts in a lot of them, I may receive over 10 mails at a time for topic updates that all raise that error. And that happens more often than I like. Part of life, I suppose.
tytower
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oky Doke
I don't have any experience with that software but I will happily learn if needed
Send me some details and I'll have a look see if I can fix it for you.

Else I'll shut up anyway as the adjustment to the second URL seems to work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Site Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: