OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

NeoOffice vs OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDMartin1959
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice vs OpenOffice vs LibreOffice Reply with quote

This probably belongs somewhere else, but since I'm not sure where it should go, I figure this is safer than an obviously wrong place.... And I would ask this at the NO forums but they don't allow any to post there unless they have made a donation (which rather sours me on them from the get-go).

After years of suffering with Mac envy and Windows hate, I am finally in the position to do something about it. I will be getting my first Mac shortly. I see NeoOffice, which is a Mac specific implementation of OO. I see some advantages to this...in theory. I have several questions regarding NO:

1) For anyone who has used both OO and NO, are there any real benefits to the Mac user in using NO?

2) I have read that there are some issues with the Mac port of OO. I would appreciate feedback on this.

3) What version of OO or LO does the current stable version of NO compare to? Is it a direct version number to version number relationship or is it more complex than that?

Thanks.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First, the NO list is not a user list, but a support list by the programmer. This is similar to the Oracle Open Office support. Non supporters (aka cash contributors/licensees) can read but cannot contribute.

NO is based on the Go-OO fork of Ooo 3.1.x. It is more tightly integrated into the OS X operating system then OOo and other forks/branches which maintain compatibility with Windows and Linux versions.

While NO is always behind OOo and its forks/branches, it does have more immediate fixes. I also find it quicker than the main OOo et al.

Phil
LDMartin1959
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGAGA wrote:
First, the NO list is not a user list, but a support list by the programmer. This is similar to the Oracle Open Office support. Non supporters (aka cash contributors/licensees) can read but cannot contribute.

Okay, that explains why non-contributors can't post. It is a shame, however, that policy is not clearly explained on either the forum site of the NO support page on the NO site. The impression is that it is a general users support forum (ala this forum) and that users are expected to pony up for support. Excluding non-contributors without adequate explanation will turn people off if they don't have someone such as yourself who can get to them before they turn away. Perhaps consideration should be given to making some sort of interactive support (albeit more limited, with explanation) available to non-contributors so that the forum is not undermining confidence--and consequently acceptance--in the software.

Stepping off the soapbox....

PGAGA wrote:
"NO is based on the Go-OO fork of Ooo 3.1.x...It is more tightly integrated into the OS X operating system then OOo...While NO is always behind OOo and its forks/branches, it does have more immediate fixes. I also find it quicker than the main OOo et al.

I'm not sure how the Go-OO fork is relates to the base code (in terms of changes, features, version number equivalence, et cetera). Based on what I read, it appears that the current version of NO is roughly equivalent to the 2.x version of OO; is that correct or is it actually being built on OO3 code?
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Go-OO.org was a Novell fork of OOo. It had/has experimental features which are not in the main OOo. It has now been merged into LibreOffice.

NO has a 2.x version. The current release is based on the 3.x.x code.

Phil
LDMartin1959
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sounds like NO may be the way I want to go. Thanks for the info.
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, March 17, 2011

NO 3.2 beta is out now.

Phil
LDMartin1959
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGAGA wrote:
NO 3.2 beta is out now.

I'm not real big on installaing beta's but I'll keep an eye out for a new release. In the meantime, when my Mac arrives next week I'll install the current version of NO.

Thanks.
lgusaas
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGAGA wrote:
Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It used to be a users list. The requirement to contribute is a recent change

Quote:
NO is based on the Go-OO fork of Ooo 3.1.x. It is more tightly integrated into the OS X operating system then OOo and other forks/branches which maintain compatibility with Windows and Linux versions.

NO takes OOo code, adds their modifications then releases it under a different license which keeps OOo from using their code. They give nothing back to OOo development. That makes them a bunch of pariahs in my opinion.

Quote:
While NO is always behind OOo and its forks/branches, it does have more immediate fixes.

And the pariahs refuse to contribute those fixes back to the OOo project.
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." — Edgard Varese

Mac OS 10.6.5 — OO.o 3.3.0 RC8 — MacBook
jrvz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Open Office relationship to Libre office Reply with quote

I am getting some comments that Libre Office is better than or is replacing Open Office, although this is the first time i have heard of Libre Office. I have been using OO for a number of years.

What is heppening here Question
LDMartin1959
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Office relationship to Libre office Reply with quote

jrvz wrote:
I am getting some comments that Libre Office is better than or is replacing Open Office, although this is the first time i have heard of Libre Office. I have been using OO for a number of years.

What is heppening here Question

I am not an authority on the subject, but from what I have read it appears that many of the principles involved in the OpenOffice.org project left when Oracle bought out Sun (who was the primary corporate force behind OpenOffice.org...long, convoluted story so I won't get into it). Oracle has a reputed history of being very mercinary and very hostle to the open source community so the basic feeling seemed to be that Oracle was not going to be good for OpenOffice.org. This was apparantly the motivating force behind the breakaway from Oracle/OpenOffice.org to create LibreOffice, which would be free of all Oracle entanglements and/or hostilities.
jrvz
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt there is a lot to what you say, but Oracle have said that they would continue to Develop OO as open source, so maybe it would have been better to wait a bit & see what happens. Now we have two develoments pulling in different directions, & maybe I want to use one features from one, and something else from another, so either I have to go to the hassle of maintaining two packages, or I have to forego some good features. Crying or Very sad
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, March 26, 2011

There have always been more than one branch/fork of OOo since Sun bought and released the code. Because of the licensing/productivity restrictions Sun required for contributions to the main OOo code base some of those branches/forks do not return code to the main OOo repository - that includes Go-OO of which NO is derived. The Document Foundation was formed in response to the restrictions.

Currently there are three main milestone builds for OOo. The main OOo one, Oracle's commercial one for integration with Oracle Cloud Office, and LibreOffice. There are others such as Novell's and EuroOffice's.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: