OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Dictionary installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger_Dettmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Dictionary installation Reply with quote

I've previously installed Openoffice 1.0 and successfully used Lee Corbins automated Dictionary installer to switch to a English(UK) dictionary. I've now got 1.01 on a CD ROM, complete with English(UK) dictionary folder, but don't seem able to get the dictionary to switch from English (USA) to English(UK).

I've read the Dictionary Installers material on the OpenOffice Web site, and all my files in the wordbook directory appear to be ok. I've got the 'Dict en GB en_GB' line in Dictionary list, and I've also got en_GB.

As instructed, I then start up OpenOffice and click on Tools>LanguageSettings>Writing Aids. I'm then told to hit 'Edit'. Unfortunately, there are two edit buttons, I click the one opposite 'User-defined dictionaries', select English(UK) from the drop down menu next to 'Language' . I'm then told to check that the Myspell Spell Checker for that locale. There's another edit button opposite 'OpenOffice Myspell Spellchecker. I click this and select English(UK), then close. Unfortunately, this action seems to be totally ineffectual, and the selection reverts back to English (USA) and I get English (USA) spell when I use Write.

Can anyone help? The instructions are certainly very unclear.

Thanks

Roger Dettmer
rhone
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Americans and Brits spoke the same language?? Laughing I guess you wouldn't find the word 'wanker' in an American dictionary.

You should consider upgrading to 1.0.2. That might fix your problem.
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any problem with this in OOo 1.01, not under Windows and not under Linux. Moreover, it seems that you've got the installation of the dicts right. Are you sure that the proper language formatting is applied to your document (Format Character)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: