OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

comma separation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: comma separation Reply with quote

- when I paste some columns and rows into a new spreadsheet, I get this new window where I can choose for tab or comma separation, but when I paste columns and rows that are correct, they are automatically separated by tabs, what is normal
but I want to change the separation by comma's, and I really don't know how I should do that, at least I can't find any menu item that has the possibility to change the separation and the help menu didn't help me much either

so, can I change the separation manually or is that only possible when I paste new cells? -

- or can anyone help me creating a .csv file that I can use to import contacts to gmail, caus I tried almost everything, and the gmail guide can't fix my problem either. Actually I had a .csv file of all my contacts, but gmail didn't accept it, maybe caus the .csv file contained more than just names and addresses, but also phone numbers. And when I adjusted everything, so the file only contained names and addresses I couldn't change the separation by comma's anymore -
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: comma separation Reply with quote

stephen- wrote:
- when I paste some columns and rows into a new spreadsheet, I get this new window where I can choose for tab or comma separation, but when I paste columns and rows that are correct, they are automatically separated by tabs, what is normal
but I want to change the separation by comma's, and I really don't know how I should do that, at least I can't find any menu item that has the possibility to change the separation and the help menu didn't help me much either

so, can I change the separation manually or is that only possible when I paste new cells? -

- or can anyone help me creating a .csv file that I can use to import contacts to gmail, caus I tried almost everything, and the gmail guide can't fix my problem either. Actually I had a .csv file of all my contacts, but gmail didn't accept it, maybe caus the .csv file contained more than just names and addresses, but also phone numbers. And when I adjusted everything, so the file only contained names and addresses I couldn't change the separation by comma's anymore -

Look for either "CSVdb", or "CSVed". Sorry, I don't recall the URL, but you might try Nonags. Either of these [the latter may be the latest version] will allow you to work with CSV files, changing the delimiterfor one.

David.
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo, Belgium. You should be able to use Calc to change the delimiter in a cvs file. Suppose al your data are in a text file separated by tab. Rename it to csv and retrieve it in Calc (file - Open. The Text Import dialig appears, where you must specify 'Separated by tab'". Then first save to Ooo spreadsheet (otherwise Calc will not ask for csv settings), then back to CSV, this time specifying comma as field delimiter.

You will end up with either " or ' around the strings. Chances are that this will be fine for the program where you want to import. Otherwise, remove them using a text editor. Eventually, Writer can be used for this, but then, you will need to rename the file to *.txt. Otherwise OOo will insist on opening it in Calc.
stephen-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works now
thanks for the help

greetz from belgium
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: