OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Pages with 2 independent text columns?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zumbi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Pages with 2 independent text columns? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am working on a training lab book, and I would like to split my pages in 2 independent columns:

Left (2/3 of the page width) | Right (1/3)
(Lab instructions | Comments)

I can't do that with regular columns, as column text needs to continue in the same column in the following page.

I tried to reduce the page width to 2/3, and add a text frame on the right. However, this also shrunk my header and footers, while I want to keep them to the whole page width.
Another drawback is that the text frame doesn't continue in the next page.

I also tried with a 2 column table. This works fine until the bottom of the page. If I don't add a new row, the contents don't continue on the next page. It seems that Writer refuses to spread the contents of a row across 2 pages.

How would you handle this, please?
Any suggestions are welcome!

Smile

Cheers,

Michael.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pages with 2 independent text columns? Reply with quote

zumbi wrote:
Hello,

I am working on a training lab book, and I would like to split my pages in 2 independent columns:

Left (2/3 of the page width) | Right (1/3)
(Lab instructions | Comments)

I can't do that with regular columns, as column text needs to continue in the same column in the following page.

I tried to reduce the page width to 2/3, and add a text frame on the right. However, this also shrunk my header and footers, while I want to keep them to the whole page width.
Another drawback is that the text frame doesn't continue in the next page.

I also tried with a 2 column table. This works fine until the bottom of the page. If I don't add a new row, the contents don't continue on the next page. It seems that Writer refuses to spread the contents of a row across 2 pages.

How would you handle this, please?
Any suggestions are welcome!

Smile

Cheers,

Michael.

You are looking for "newspaper columns" rather than
"parallel columns" I think. I don't know if this is possible in Oo, but I might be mistaken. A strange omission if it is an omission.

David.
Graaf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use 2 frames side by side ignoring the normal text area entirely. Then you could link the frames as you wish (left one from the first page to the left one on the second page etc.)

Not very pretty solution, but should work.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graaf's suggestion is the correct way to do this.

However, if you want to try it with a two column page you can do Insert > Manual Break > Column Break to "jump" from column 1 to column 2. After adding comments (or not) in column 2 you can then do Ctrl+Enter to "jump" to a new page. Any editing that pushs your column breaks or page breaks into another column will mess this up.
zumbi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pages with 2 independent text columns? Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

That's right I need newspaper style columns.

The solution to use linked frames satisfies all my needs, though it's true there's some manual work to do, to create each frame and each page manually.

That'd be cool if Writer could automatically take care of this special case by proposing a new kind of column. For 3 columns per page, each column could link to the 3rd next column, i.e. to the same column on the next page.

Thanks again!

Smile

Michael.
Graaf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zumbi wrote:
That'd be cool if Writer could automatically take care of this special case by proposing a new kind of column. For 3 columns per page, each column could link to the 3rd next column, i.e. to the same column on the next page.

True. There are many countries (e.g. Switzerland) with more than one official language. It's customary in these countries to make books that have a separate column for each language. These columns must run independently of each others from page to page and halt only when new headers or images are introduced. The feature you proposed would be a lifesaver for authors writing in these countries.
Graaf
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I've read about this problem not long ago... I was correct: see issue 17960.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: