OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Cannot change file type SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheranz

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Cannot change file type SOLVED Reply with quote

After creating a document I used to be able to go to Save As > type in my file name > select a file type such as Microsoft Word 97-2003 document > then click Save. The file would be saved as a Microsoft Word 97-2003 document, and others I sent the document to could open it.

Now, I go through the same process, but no matter what I do it just shows up as being a file, and it cannot be opened by those I send it to. In my list of documents the icon always looks like a white piece of paper and when I hover over it I see the following: Type: File, Size: __KB, Date Modified: __.

In the past, when I saved the document as stated in the first paragraph above, the icon was a white paper with the blue Open Office logo and the following information when I hovered over it: Type: Microsoft Word 97-2003 document, Size: __KB, Date Modified: __, Pages: __.

Does anyone know what is going on? From the way I have explained my dilemma you may notice that I'm not very computer savvy, but I do a lot of writing and really want to be able to save the documents the way I used to be able to do. Any help will be very much appreciated! Smile Thank you in advance.

Last edited by sheranz on Thu May 12, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
floris_v

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Save as... dialog box tick the Automatic file name extension checkbox.

If your problem has been solved, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
sheranz

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking time to respond to my request for help. What a difference a simple tick in a box can make! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: