OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Layers not saving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Layers not saving Reply with quote

it sounds as though some of you guys are actually using layers with some success.
I cant.
If I create my own layers and put stuff on them then save the drawing as a template, when I reopen it all my stuff is dumped onto the layout layer, and my own layers are gone.

How are you all getting it to work?
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't reproduce this issue. I suppose you should get a bit more acquainted with working with layers. If you really suspect an issue, then give us detailled stepwise information on how to reproduce the issue. Only then can we either confirm it, or tell you where you were mistaken.
DannyB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also unable to reproduce the problem.

I created a drawing. Clicked the teeny "Layer View" icon near the bottom left.

Created two new layers. Then I put five pieces of text onto my drawing.

This is on the Layout layer.
This is on the Controls layer.
This is on the Dimension Lines layer.
This is on MyLayer4.
This is on MyLayer5.

Of course, each of the above pieces of text is actually placed on the respective layer. I verified this by making various of the layers invisible to ensure that the associated piece of text disappears from view.

With all layers visible, I saved as a Drawing Template.

Upon re-opening, no problem. All objects present and on their proper layers.

I tried this on Win XP Pro, OOo 1.1.2.
pmills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really weird!

I cant reproduce the error now either.
to ellaborate on it a bit, I made a template with a locked layer in it. and reopening the drawing as a new document the layer was no longer locked, because it was no longer there.

One thing I havent checked is that I'm using the standard version and the PC which was trying to run the template has the Estonian language version. Both installs are the same version number (1.1.2) so that shouldnt be an issue.

I have to say as a regular user and tutor of CorelDraw that in OO it seems the layer system is not strictly a layer system. Its an object stacking manager.
With a full layering system you should be able to view the stacking order of the layers themselves and reorder them as necessary as well as changing the stacking order of objects within a layer.

Unless of course Im missing some fundamentals, which is entirely possible as Ive only used OO Draw a few times.

Dont get me wrong im not dissing the software. I think its great. It p*sses all over Microsoft IMO. Its really exciting to have free software which is actually easy to use, powerful and stable.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: