OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

The GIMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: The GIMP Reply with quote

I used Gimp on windows before photoshop, and it ran fine. I pirated photoshop, but I think now that I've formatted my hard drive, I'll just get GIMP again. I used it on Windows ME; if it ran on that, it should run on anything.
daeman
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know GIMP ran on windows. Is the interface the same as the Linux version or is it slightly different?

The fact that OOo looks identical on all platforms makes switching between them a breeze.
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never pirate programs Wink There are great open source solutions for almost everything. the GIMP on windows is identical to the Gimp on Linux, it looks and behaves great, both under Windows and under Linux. Just from an aestetical point of view, it looks more 'majestic' under Linux. Absolutely fabulous great program! Hey, we're getting off topic here!

On another note, these great multiplatform applications are a great way to ease transition to Linux. Nowadays, you can fill you Winbox only with great open source application, Openoffice.org, the Gimp, Mozilla. Then one day you install Linux and, yeep, you feel at home right away.
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: The GIMP Reply with quote

Well I kinda disagree, I dont see anything wrong with pirating software as pirating is a phenomenon emerged from extreme pricing policies which are not affordable by all the economy of scale.

Translation if I earn 25 dls an hour I will not pirate, if I earn 25 pesos/baths an hour I will definetly pirate.

On the GIMP side, I tried to install it but I could never get it to work iwth the GTK stuff and some other dlls. I do have it on my linux box though and it runs smoothly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
knowe
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing is that many companies don't mind a certain amount of pirating as a means of promoting their software. I prefer open source software because pirating is never an issue.
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To JZA, installing the Gimp on windows involves downloading two installation files, the GTK libraries and the actual program. Never had any trouble installing it . Are you sure you first installed the GTK lib?

About pirating, good or bad, there can't be any need to pirate with these great open source alternatives getting better every day.
scottcarr
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around on the GIMP Win32 site, actually offsite but pointed at from there. There is a package in MSI for GIMP that includes everything in a nice package.

Very easy to install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JZA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I just saw it, I think they change some files and this time was painless.

Some open software alternatives are not ready for prime time. Specially on companies that drive on software like

Architects- Autocad

Project Managers- MS Project

Accountants - TurboTax
etc...

On the flip side, the OS software is getting there... And the day to completely take over the desktop is comming. We are just not yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yogo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnuCash looks promising. It won't kill Quicken anytime soon but it's nice to see an open source alternative for financial management.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: desktop author Reply with quote

JZA wrote:
Yes I just saw it, I think they change some files and this time was painless.

Some open software alternatives are not ready for prime time. Specially on companies that drive on software like

Architects- Autocad

Project Managers- MS Project

Accountants - TurboTax
etc...

On the flip side, the OS software is getting there... And the day to completely take over the desktop is comming. We are just not yet.
J

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cann't afford to buy Legal software for learning purpose...
even my RedHat Linux is pirated version... Sad
Marcus Green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Pirate Red Hat Reply with quote

Can you explain how you make a pirate of RedHat Linux, an operating system based on the GNU GPL licence that specifically allows copying? Or are you just trolling?
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think J meant that he got his RH cds from the pirate's shop. As far as I understand, the 3-cds (standard) RH contains the iso images that are available for download and are GNU GPL licenced. On the contrary the 7-cds Pro versions contained proprietary software and thus not GNU GPL?

Can someone enlighten me please?

Hi J,

You are in Malaysia if I am not mistaken. Try to get your open source software from MIMOS:
http://mymirror.asiaosc.org/sendcd.html
DannyB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
these great multiplatform applications are a great way to ease transition to Linux.

I am convinced that it is the cross-over applications that are the real threat to monopolistic software companies. I am glad to see that their attention is focused on fighting Linux, which IMHO, is not the actual threat. At least not the threat today.

When enough people eventually run open source software on Windows, the major factor that has kept them from using an open source OS will disappear. Application software lock-in. When they run open source office, browser, e-mail, image editing, desktop publishing, etc. they have fewer and fewer programs that keep them tied to Windows. Since their primary applications are available on both platforms, it is fairly painless to switch to an open source OS. Either Linux, or whatever open source OS would displace it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Draw All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: