OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I insert a new row of data between two existing rows?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheapster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: How do I insert a new row of data between two existing rows? Reply with quote

Um, that's it I think.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not.

The ORDER of data, entered or deleted is unimportant and irrelevant.

You can, if you want, include a SORT / ORDER instructions for a Query, to bring back data in a desired sequence.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
Cheapster
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: On the contrary... Reply with quote

The order of data entered or deleted is very important to me. I wonder if what you mean is that the application does not allow such manipulation – if so, I concede that I may well have chosen the wrong application for the job I want to do.

Intelligibility is also important to me. As a newcomer to both OpenOffice and this forum,
Quote:
You can, if you want, include a SORT / ORDER instructions for a Query, to bring back data in a desired sequence
and
Quote:
Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.

could have been written in Serbo-Croat and lost little of the meaning they convey.

The abundance of boards such as these, populated by millions of individuals willing to give their time and knowledge freely to strangers, are an uplifting refutation to the naysayers who tell us there is no such thing as society. I am grateful for the time and knowledge you have given freely, Sliderule, but I have no idea what you mean.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, you need to explain better what you really want to do and why . . . so someone can give a more meaningful non-Serbo-Croat response.

A database ( this forum ) is made up of tables. The order data is entered is irrelevant.

You can have the database, bring back your data, filtered by any specific criteria you want ( for example . . . with a "LastName" starting with the characters 'Che' and if you desire, sorted / ordered by whatever field or fields you desire ).

See the links below for some 'Base Tutorials / Documentation / Videos' :
  1. Base Tutorials: http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/category_index/base.html

2. Database Documentation: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Database

3. Short Videos ( about 3 minutes each ) demonstrating the use of OpenOffice Base:

http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/series?name=AXggL6j0a

Sliderule

dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while the data-entry (record / row / tuple) order is always irrelevant in the storage Table, you can certainly add a column (field) to the storage Table which you can use to specify the desired sort order. A Query can then sort the Table in the desired order for presentation or Reporting. For instance a storage Table might contain the following dedicated sort column:

...so a resulting Query table could be sorted as follows (ascending or descending):
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: