OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

microCoulombs needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDoolin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: microCoulombs needed Reply with quote

I would like to write the symbol for microCoulombs, which is %mu C.

How do I get OpenOffice to do this without putting a space between the characters?
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: microCoulombs needed Reply with quote

JDoolin wrote:
I would like to write the symbol for microCoulombs, which is %mu C.

How do I get OpenOffice to do this without putting a space between the characters?

Enter your "%" character, select "Insert, Special character" from the menu, scroll down to find the "mu" symbol in the font map, click on it, then click "Ok". Next, enter your "C" character and a space.

This should give you what you want.

After you've done this a couple of times, record the steps as a macro using the macro recorder. Call it "coulomb" or similar when prompted for a name. After you've recorded the sequence, assign the "coulomb" macro to an unused Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift key sequence. Save the new "key macro".

The next time you need the "coulomb" symbol. just run the macro either from the saved key sequence or from the "available macros"(?) menu option.

Hope this helps.... Smile
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just enter the μ as a character (copy-paste, using your system's character map or from its Unicode number U+03BC).
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a US International keyboard layout, µ appears under "right-alt + m" for me.

Indeed general ways to automate text entries include the use of macro's, autocorrect or autotext entries.
JDoolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that its been a couple months, but I just wanted to mention that none of these methods actually worked.

From within the math editor itself, you cannot access the Insert->Special character dialog box, and it seems that you can't do a macro that does that either.

I found one work-around but it is time-consuming. You can make the %mu character in the regular openoffice writer, by going into Insert->Special Character and searching for the micro character under the Greek Letters. Then you can copy and paste that character into the math editor.

If you have micro-Coulombs and Mega-Ohms in the same document, you have to be copying and pasting th %mu and %OMEGA sign all the time, and it can get time consuming.

Anyway, I don't want a time-consuming work-around for this problem. I can just bear to have extra spaces when this comes up, and my students will have to live with it. What I'm hoping for is that the Sun people notice this missing feature in their math editor and fix it so you can put a Greek character right next to an English character.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDoolin wrote:
You can make the %mu character in the regular openoffice writer, by going into Insert->Special Character and searching for the micro character under the Greek Letters. Then you can copy and paste that character into the math editor.

I think that's essentially one of my suggestions.

Math is of course a formula editor and μC and MΩ are not really part of a formula, they are text and should be entered as such.

JDoolin wrote:
Anyway, I don't want a time-consuming work-around for this problem

I wouldn't have thought someone who knows about electrical capacitance and resistance would find it too difficult to assign a macro to a keystroke.

JDoolin wrote:
What I'm hoping for is that the Sun people...

I don't think Sun have much to do with OpenOffice any longer – as I understand it reading the forums, they sold to Oracle and its future is a little uncertain either as OpenOffice or LibreOffice (there is also IBM Symphony).
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other OpenOffice threads on the topic:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=100133
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12708

Bug report:

http://openoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=56746
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: