OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Databases & Forms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celsun
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Databases & Forms Reply with quote

Hello,

JohnV thank you for your post (May 21, 2003) about using a Calc spreadsheet and saving it in dBase format. Previously, I came across the “Creating flatfile databases with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice 6”
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/oodbase.html) information which was also helpful, but your information, as you stated allows more flexibility.

I'm using OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 Writer in Mandrake Linux 9.1 to create forms to manipulate the database.

When I open the forms, what do I need to do to have the cursor in the first field on the form without clicking that field with the mouse? Is this possible and is it in the “Events” section of the properties? If so, that means a macro assignment.

When tabbing through the YEAR field of the form, which has different years, the information doesn't update until I hit the Next Record button and then the Previous Record button. Is this a bug or does this have to do with macros?

Is there a way to get the ID field, which holds numbers, to automatically update with the next number?

Is it possible to set a Primary key in these databases created in Writer?

Is it possible to link database tables created in Writer.

Eventually, I will use ODBC to access MySQL databases in Writer. I have the following packages installed:

MyODBC-3.51.06
MySQL-4.0.11a
MySQL-client-4.0.11a
MySQL-common-4.0.11a
mysqlcc-0.8.10
unixODBC-2.2.4
unixODBC-gui-qt-2.2.4

Whenever I try to access MySQL tables using ODBC in Writer, I get the following error

The connection to the data source could not be established.
Error SQL Status: IM004
[unixODBC][Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed.

As of yet, I haven't found out what this means.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!!
Celsun1

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Hello? Is there ANYONE that can shed some light on this??? Reply with quote

JohnV,

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I have not responded to your question because I can give you little help and thought someone else might step in. My problems are that I don't use Forms (but think I ran across a good use for one today) and I'm working mostly in Windows as opposed to Linux.

Here are what I can give you:

I didn't find a way to activate the first field on a form. My experience with macros is that they don't yet record moving into an object with a mouse click or the Navigator action that will jump to an object. You might try manually building a form inside a Frame that covers the page and then Protecting the frame contents. I don't believe this will protect the fields and the cursor has to end up someplace – I think.

I don't know how to put a Primary key field in a dBase table but if you get MySql working you will be able to and, in fact, won't be able save a new table designed in OO or modify a MySql table unless it has one.

You might want to consider updating your version of OO. Version 1.02 has had some negative comment and SO1.1 beta 2 appears to “directly” support MySql and that probably comes from the OO1.1 beta 2 that it is based on. I don't know what “directly” means except MySql shows up in the Database Type box on the Admin. Database Dialog. You might also benefit from it's Macro Recorder, Report Autopilot and ability to save to PDF format.

I have MySql working under Windows but can't offer advice on Linux. I will tell you that you don't want to make the mistake I made the other day while trying to set it up on the new bata version. I got a similar message because I had not started MySql. Most of what I want to do can be done with dBase tables so I'm just playing with MySql and know next to nothing about it. At least that's my excuse for failing to start it.

I believe I have seen reference to a Linux Howto for MySql on OO. Probably should be found on the main OO site or at MySql's home. If no one else jumps in with help on this you might try a new message with a subject of “MySql on Linux”. I know there are active Linux folks here that have it working.

Hope this helps.
JohnV
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the future, when MySql is working, I think you will find my "dfrench question" in the Macros and API section of the forum of interest. I asked a question about converting a dBase table to MySql under Windows but got an answer I believe also applies to Linux. BTW when you go from dBase to MySql there is an opportunity to create (or possibly declare an existing field) a primary key.

JohnV
Celsun
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Databases & Forms Reply with quote

JohnV,

Thanks. I will try your suggestion on building a form inside of a frame.

Believe it or not, I already have MySQL up and working and have created tables w/ primary keys. I use MySQL Control Center and also use the command line. This to me, was easier than what I'm attemping now with OOo Writer, ODBC, and MySQL. Needless to say, I miss Access. Wink

John, as far as OOo 1.1 beta 2 goes, I've downloaded it for Linux and Windows. This weekend I may get a chance to install at least one of them. Keep your fingers crossed if I choose to install Linux. I'm still new to Linux and installing by source.

I've been using "OpenOffice.org 1.0, unixODBC, and MySQL How-To" as a reference. This may be the one that you're referring to.

Thanks again for your assistance. Too bad there aren't more people like you in the Linux community.
mnz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Databases & Forms Reply with quote

Hi guys!

i have the same problem: [unixODBC][Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed on mandrake 10
but i think all packages are OK....
I WANT to use linux&OOo in my office, please help me....
i'm really sorry for my bad english..... sigh..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: