OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

LuxuriousityOffice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KirkJobSluder
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, is this really news. People have been repackaging and selling Linux and BSD on cd-rom for years. The creation of mirror sites and CD resellers is not a big deal.
Ernest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I'm a sucker who bought the LuxuriousityOffice disc on eBay. I paid $8.49 with shipping it came to $15. Considering what MS Office would have cost me, I thought it was a deal. The disc did come promptly, and I did not have any trouble installing it. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. It comes with a script that launches the word processor, but I can't figure out how to launch any of the other applications.

Could someone be kind enough to tell me how to launch Calc, etc?

Thanks!
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest wrote:
OK... I'm a sucker who bought the LuxuriousityOffice disc on eBay. I paid $8.49 with shipping it came to $15. Considering what MS Office would have cost me, I thought it was a deal. The disc did come promptly, and I did not have any trouble installing it. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. It comes with a script that launches the word processor, but I can't figure out how to launch any of the other applications.

Could someone be kind enough to tell me how to launch Calc, etc?

Thanks!

Here's how I start Calc in OpenOffice, anyway:

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Ernest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on OS X, but thanks anyways. I actually figured it out. You have to click once on the "Start OpenOffice" icon on the dock, then go to the menu that reads "File" at the top of the screen and select "New." This allows you to pick spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, etc.

I'm posting this in case someone else runs into the same issue. It's not hard--just not immediately obvious.
Ernest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Maybe it's not at all a bad thing... Reply with quote

Additional comment: I had never heard of OpenOffice until I found the ad for this disc on eBay. I found this forum by searching for LuxuriousityOffice on Google. So, for whatever it's worth, it got me connected to the world of open source computing.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest wrote:
I'm on OS X, but thanks anyways. I actually figured it out. You have to click once on the "Start OpenOffice" icon on the dock, then go to the menu that reads "File" at the top of the screen and select "New." This allows you to pick spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, etc.

I'm posting this in case someone else runs into the same issue. It's not hard--just not immediately obvious.

FWIW, in both Windoze and Linux, you can create shortcuts pointing to the component parts by adding "-writer" or "-calc", etc., to the shortcut's target. Perhaps something similar is possible in OSX?

dpeach
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I may not agree with the way it is being packaged and sold, I do like the fact that we have Ernest on the board with us now. Welcome to OOo (or whatever your flavor is called).

This is exactly how I got involved in Linux, by purchasing a set of Linux disks that were professionally packaged. If what the seller is doing is not illegal, then I say he is giving something to the community...users. We need more people to give the software a toe hold in the world. OOo is an excellent suite. It just needs more exposure.

Though I don't like the method, I think we will like the outcome. (I do not support the idea "of the ends justify the means", but so far as I can tell, there is nothing illegal going on).

dpeach
freiheit
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing at all wrong with the method of packaging (I wont say "repackaging" because OOo isn't exactly packaged to begin with) OOo and selling it. If it weren't for RedHat, Slackware and SuSE doing the same thing with Linux, there wouldn't be a Linux today except in very small groups of geeks who use it just because they can. What did RedHat give back to Linus Torvalds? Well, he got name recognition as the inventor of a very powerful and increasingly popular operating system.

So what's Luxuriosity Office giving back to OpenOffice.org? Name recognition and a user base of people who aren't making all their documents in incompatible Microsoft formats.

Where's the problem? The whole point of open source is that ANYONE is free to change it and call it anything they want (that isn't already trademarked, of course). I would have every right to sell a Linux CD with the name Bebopalooba OS if I wanted. This guy can sell an OpenOffice.org CD with the name Luxuriosity Office if he wants. He just can't go making changes in the source code without making those changes available to the community.

Don Eitner
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freiheit wrote:
There's nothing at all wrong with the method of packaging (I wont say "repackaging" because OOo isn't exactly packaged to begin with) OOo and selling it.

So what's Luxuriosity Office giving back to OpenOffice.org? Name recognition and a user base of people who aren't making all their documents in incompatible Microsoft formats.

Where's the problem?

Don Eitner

I think a big part of the problem is that he gives no credit at all to the OOo community, yet directs all his users to the OOo mailing lists for support, where many of them have turned up angrily demanding the support they "paid for." This discussion was thrashed out on the mailing list, and many seemed to feel that it wasn't so much what was done as how it was done. Add in the exaggerated claims made "100% compatibility" etc., and it is little wonder his style left a bitter taste for many.

JustSurfedIn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: LuxuriosityOffice Reply with quote

I have just read all the posts about LuxuriosityOffice both in this forum, and on slashdot.

Because I'm not a smart person, and my limited computer skills prevent me from contributing to the open source community (in other words, I am just the typical parasite user), I have found it particularly difficult to find information about the availability of OOo cd's for Mac OS X.

The searches I carried out in the last few months would typically start from the "CD distribution" page at openoffice.org, which would typically lead me either to "community resellers" whose Websites didn't even mention OOo, or to Windoz and Linux/Unix/Solaris versions only (Mac users seem to be a non-entity, apparently).

Then tonight I did a search on eBay, and discovered the LuxuriosityOffice CD (BuyItNow for $8.99 or less). I don't know whether this software works, but if I decided to throw $15 away (including postage).... do you think I'd rather give them to Mr LuxuriosityOffice, or to the open source community?

I am open to suggestions - and if anybody could recommend an authorised distributor of OOo for Mac OS X (on CD, for someone who doesn't know what "compiling files" or "manual installation" mean), I would be extremely grateful and more than willing to circulate the information among other nongs like me!

Oh, and my email address is marina--at--reliance.it.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marina,

We distribute the "Standard" ISO from our website as a "Community Distributor".
We also have another CD with a very simple installer for Windows but haven't any experience with Mac OS X (only recently SAW my first Mac after years in IT Exclamation ) so I haven't had opportunity to learn the OS/write an installer for it. And I'm just about to embark on Linux.

Both CDs include the Mac OS X ver of OOo, but I've no idea how easy / difficult it is to install. If it's anything like Windows its really easy to install - when you know how - but IMHO there are too any installation options and confusing instructions for new users.

Where are you? Italy?

What's your DL speed like? TBH you can't get much better help than on here so if you can download the file yourself I'm sure there would be some Max OS X experts around who would be able to give you help installing.

There are more ways to contribute than just being a programming expert. If you help other users along and spread the word about OOo - that's valuable too Very Happy
DannyB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has used OOo on Mac OS X. The real difference is in how you use it. On OS X the OOo requires an X window server. So to run OOo, you must run an X server. Apple has a nice X server. In order to use OOo you must install both OOo and Apple's (or someone's) X server. To use you must start the X server and then start OOo. (You can just leave the X server running even after quitting OOo if you have other X window programs.) OOo 2.0 may not require an X server on Mac OS X.
DannyB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:
We distribute the "Standard" ISO from our website as a "Community Distributor".

Does this mean I can download the standard ISO? Or is it available in physical form for a fee? Or both? Or niether / something else?

Are there sites where I can download a standard ISO for free?
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,

Although I'm sure you know the answers to your questions Wink for the sake of clarity...

The "Standard" ISO image can be downloaded for free - I can't remember the exact link now, but if someone else hasn't posted it I will find it later. I think I got it from an ibiblio.org link Question

We don't currently have the set up to be a mirror but maybe sometime in the future...

We also distribute the Standard ISO image on a CD, for a fee. Currently £4.99 inc P+P within the UK.

Apologies if my previous (quickly composed) post was too ambiguous for your taste.
...and I should have said CD-Rom "Community Distributor".
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: ISO Reply with quote

I can't find it!

But this is what's on it:
http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/CD_tree.html

...5 mins later:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/openoffice/contrib/iso/1.1.0/

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: