OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Exporting EPS-image tot PDF problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikverk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Exporting EPS-image tot PDF problem Reply with quote

In my OOwriter documents I include images made with xfig, exported to "EPS(Encapsulated Postscript) with Monogrome TIFF previef". In OOwriter you can see the TIFF previef and when the documents are printed the EPS-information is used: the images are of very fine quality!

When I export my documents to pdf, the "TIFF preview" is used instead of the EPS-information ad this gives low quality image-prints.
I have tried pure EPS, but this doesn't work.
I'm working with OO-1.1.2 on fedora core1.

I hope someone can help me sort out how I can make this work.

Thanks,

Erik
ftack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is due to OOo PDF export not using postscript for creating the PDF. To create PDF successfully with eps graphics, you need the 'traditional' way of creating PDF, i.e., print to postscript, use Ghostscript to convert to PDF. The whole process can easily be automated in that you can setup a virtual printer that, when "printed" to, creates a PDF of what you 'print'.

Look for the OOo installation manual that comes with the OOo installation file (it can also be found on the website, but I don't know where right now). You will find instructions in there on how to use spadmin to create a PDF creator under Linux. Chances are that your distro is already configured with a PDF printer. OOo on Mandrake, for example, comes with a PDF printer already installed.

Once you get that going, look out for the macro ExtendedPDF. This macro allows you to create the same postscript based PDF's, but with the additional features that you can embed life links and have bookmarks generated.

Finally, for even more possibilities such as PDF encryption and 'security', look for PDFTK, PDF toolkit, a command line utility that allows you to handle PDF's as a staple machine, binder, etc. for PDF's. Welcome to open source country.
erikverk
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'traditional' way of creating PDF documents works as needed!

Thanks for your reply.

Erik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: