OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

An inexact differential?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math
View previous topic :: View next topic  
libertan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: An inexact differential? Reply with quote

Is there anyway to express inexact differentials in smath? For example, An exact (general) differential of a some-variable function F can be expressed as
simply dF, which gives the path-independent integration;

Code:
int_i^f dF(x,y) = int_i^f (A(x,y)dx + B(x,y)dy) = (const. along all paths)

But I need to express the inexact differential of which integrals from initial to final states gives not constant result along a certain path;

Code:
int_i^f dG(x,y) = int_i^f (C(x,y)dx + D(x,y)dy) = (depends on integration path from i to f)

In this mathematical picture, dG should be expressed as an inexact differential, and the most text book use the d character overlapped with - character to distinguish the inexact diff. from the exact one.

I assume that there's an unicode number to express the inexact diff. but I couldn't find it yet Sad Or, can the smath overlaps two characters? Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to overlap the d with the dash, you could get the same effect by writing d in strikethrough mode. The code for this would be "overstrike d". I haven't tried this, so I don't know how it will look, but it should be ok.
libertan
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, though the overstrike keyword is not exactly fit for inexact differentials, I'll use it until I finally find a better solution Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: An inexact differential? Reply with quote

liberta wrote:
I assume that there's an unicode number to express the inexact diff. but I couldn't find it yet Sad Or, can the smath overlaps two characters? Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you are looking for Unicode 0x0111.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: An inexact differential? Reply with quote

liberta wrote:
Is there anyway to express inexact differentials in smath? For example, An exact (general) differential of a some-variable function F can be expressed as
simply dF, which gives the path-independent integration;

Code:
int_i^f dF(x,y) = int_i^f (A(x,y)dx + B(x,y)dy) = (const. along all paths)

But I need to express the inexact differential of which integrals from initial to final states gives not constant result along a certain path;

Code:
int_i^f dG(x,y) = int_i^f (C(x,y)dx + D(x,y)dy) = (depends on integration path from i to f)

In this mathematical picture, dG should be expressed as an inexact differential, and the most text book use the d character overlapped with - character to distinguish the inexact diff. from the exact one.

bloodydemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: An alternative for getting dashed d Reply with quote

Hello, I had the same problem...

I solved it by inserting a new character to use with writer's equation editor.

Here's how to do it.

1) Go to Insert>Object>Formula
2) Once the editor is open go to Tools>Catalog...
3) Now, click on Edit...
4) Select Symbol "name you want to type" e.g. d
5) Select Symbol Set "Special"
6) Select font"FreeSerif"
7) Select Subset "Latin Extended -A"
8) Search for the dashed d it must be two or three lines down
9) Once you found it, click on it
10) Click on "Add" icon and after that "OK"

And there you have it! Now when you want to use it, you can go either to the symbol's box or type %"name you chose" and you'll get it!

I mean in my case I selected d in the option Symbol, so I would write:

Code:

int_i^f %d G(x,y) = int_i^f (C(x,y)dx + D(x,y)dy)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Math All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: