OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Problem with space at end of line, also bold & italics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Problem with space at end of line, also bold & italics Reply with quote

Something that puzzles and irritates me in OO Writer, is that when a space is typed at the end of a line, it does not show, although a “blind” space has been inserted, so the next word does start on the next line. When Reveal NonPrinting Characters is switched on, the space is not revealed either, it remains a “blind” space. In MS Word you can see the space at the end of each line (revealed as a dot ). I also have a problem with escaping from Italics, Bold etc. If you select a word and apply Italics or Bold, and then continue with a space, the typing will continue to be in Bold or Italics. The space will not allow an automatic escape, as in MS Word. You actually have to select (click on) the space following the word and deselect Bold or Italics to be able to continue typing normally. Is there a setting I can make to avoid this behaviour of the space-at-the-end-of the-line and the Italics/Bold switches? - ecbritz
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with space at end of line, also bold & itali Reply with quote

ecbritz wrote:
when a space is typed at the end of a line, it does not show

I've never experienced such behavior, even with justified paragraphs but I've seen users having this issue. There should be something that triggers this but I don't know what. I agree, this is really strange and frustrating.

ecbritz wrote:
I also have a problem with escaping from Italics, Bold etc. If you select a word and apply Italics or Bold, and then continue with a space, the typing will continue to be in Bold or Italics. The space will not allow an automatic escape, as in MS Word. You actually have to select (click on) the space following the word and deselect Bold or Italics to be able to continue typing normally.

It depends on the Word version, With MS Word 2000, there is no such feature and I don't want it at all ! How can OOo or MS Word know if I want only one word in italics or a complete sentence / paragraph ? Better use the CTRL + I shortcut !
ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Does operating system affect the "disappearing space&qu Reply with quote

I use Windows XP as OS, have tried to re-install OO, have gone through all the Tools Options Settings, etc. Nothing will give me a visible or revealed space at the end of each line. When the cursor is at the end of the line, pressing the Spacebar repeatedly will not move the line any further, until you type another character, in which case the series of spaces will be revealed on the next line. It is not impossible to live with this, and perhaps the progammers intended to deviate from other word processors in this respect. But is there a way to alert the programmers to this? My second issue is of academic interest, I suppose. But when you select a word or phrase in an existing line and place it in Italics or bold, you normally don't intend to "forward" the action, i.e. continue typing in italics or bold from that point. You should not have to switch off bold or italics in the space following your selection, to my mind. Thanks for your interest, I alway appreciate it very much. ecbritz
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Does operating system affect the "disappearing spac Reply with quote

ecbritz wrote:
But is there a way to alert the programmers to this?

Yes, see here : Rough step-by-step instructions reporting bugs.

But to fill a bug, you've to be able to reproduce it (else it won't be accepted, I know what I mean). Is it possible to upload a file example somewhere ? Or can you send it by mail (PM me if you can).
foxcole
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with space at end of line, also bold & itali Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
ecbritz wrote:

I've never experienced such behavior, even with justified paragraphs but I've seen users having this issue. There should be something that triggers this but I don't know what. I agree, this is really strange and frustrating.

I've always had this happen--forcing me to guess where the space is if I want to insert a word. Usually I don't guess correctly and it comes out as no space between words but an extra one after. But I've never complained about it... I suppose I just took it for "one of those things" that happens with dev software.

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
It depends on the Word version, With MS Word 2000, there is no such feature and I don't want it at all ! How can OOo or MS Word know if I want only one word in italics or a complete sentence / paragraph ? Better use the CTRL + I shortcut !

Right. I wonder if ecbritz is talking about inserting a word after, for example, bold text but before normal style punctuation. If I recall correctly, Word might assume you want the normal style for the inserted word but Writer always uses the style of the text preceding the insert... Also, in Writer, you (or, at least I Wink) can't finish typing a word in one style and change back to the normal style, then type a space in the normal style and continue. You have to type the space after the bolded text before you can switch formatting, or else type all your text and go back over it to apply styles... whereas Word lets you change styles inline immediately, so the space after the bolded word is normal.

WinXP Pro SP2, OOo Portable 2.3.1, OOo local 2.4 RC4
New OpenOffice forum: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
Manuals: http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with space at end of line, also bold & itali Reply with quote

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
ecbritz wrote:

Using the en-US version of OOo 2.1.0, I experience this behavior with the default settings of OOo 2.1.0. I don't recall ever seeing a space being displayed in OOo Writer at the end of a line. When a line is wrapped, spaces typed at the end of the line or at the beginning of the next line are not revealed.
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with space at end of line, also bold & itali Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
Using the en-US version of OOo 2.1.0, I experience this behavior with the default settings of OOo 2.1.0. I don't recall ever seeing a space being displayed in OOo Writer at the end of a line.

Shocked I also use the en-US version (with the French language pack) for both my Ubuntu box and XP and I've never seen that !!! I scanned all the OOo options and I've not seen anything that could be related.
geoff80fg
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with space at end of line, also bold & itali Reply with quote

BillP wrote:

Using the en-US version of OOo 2.1.0, I experience this behavior with the default settings of OOo 2.1.0. I don't recall ever seeing a space being displayed in OOo Writer at the end of a line. When a line is wrapped, spaces typed at the end of the line or at the beginning of the next line are not revealed.

I'm only guessing but I imagine the reason for this behaviour (which I have seen in all versions of Writer) is that, if you want to show a space at the end of the line when "View Non-printing Characters " is enabled, it could mean that the line will have to be re-wrapped because there isn't sufficient space to show the dot.

This "feature" is particularly visible when you reach the end of the line and can't remember whether you typed a space after the last word so you type another one. It doesn't show because it is at the end of the line and the next word starts on the next line. If you then go back to that line and insert another word somewhere, the line re-wraps and the extra space becomes visible. All this can be done with "View Non-printing Characters" switched on. The annoying thing is that, unless you actually cause a re-wrap, these extra spaces remain hidden waiting to jump out at you the next time the text is reflowed.

Geoff
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I found :
I checked the issue 20878 and I discovered an interesting file (attachment 33679). I thought it was an OOo general setting but it's related to the paragraph style in fact. We can revert this behavior (at least for new paragraphs inserted before the first paragraph).

I googled a bit and I found 2 interesting pages :
http://books.evc-cit.info/odbook/ch03.html
http://blogs.sun.com/lars/category/Everything

The 'problem' comes from whitespaces with the xml attribute "text:c" for example <text:s text:c="484"/> in the issue attachment.

It seems that when a line is re-wrapped due to spaces added at the end of a paragraph, they're concatenated with this attribute. But if this value is too high, it's impossible to remove it and we don't see the spaces we type anymore, even if there is still much room on the line. I modified the value 484 in the content.xml of the issue attachment and I was able afterwards to type spaces at the end of the line (whereas it was impossible before) !

For those who have the problem for any document, it may be a problem with their template. To be checked.
ecbritz
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Advice on invisible spaces not clear Reply with quote

Hi Hagar, thanks for the following advice:

"I modified the value 484 in the content.xml of the issue attachment and I was able afterwards to type spaces at the end of the line (whereas it was impossible before) ! "

Unfortunately, I am not that computer literate and I don't understand what I must do. Every word of your advice is unclear to me, including "the issue attachment". (What is an "issue attachment"?) Is it possible to explain to me in simple layman's terms, step by step, what I must do to see the invisible space at the end of a line (or invisible spaces in the cace of consecutive spaces)?
ecbritz
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, an ODF file (odt, ods, odp, ...) is a bunch of xml files zipped together. So, make a copy of your file, change the extension to 'zip' instead of 'odt', extract the file content.xml and open it with your web browser (to see the structure more clearly). Search for the attribute 'text:c=' from the end of the file (problem may be for last paragraph I guess). When you've spotted the string, open the file also with a text editor (Notepad/Gedit), search from the end the string and replace the 'xx' number you've seen after this string with a small number like 1 or 2. Save the file, zip it back into the archive and change the archive extension back from 'zip' to 'odt'. Try to open it and add spaces.
gavin8or

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar, I'm using OO 3.0 beta in OSX and I have the EXACT problem that you're talking about. I thought it was a random problem but it's directly related to the proximity with the right margin. Once you get within a certain number of characters of the right margin, OO stops displaying the spaces. They all appear suddenly when you type a printing character though! Extremely annoying, a total bug.

I've looked in my content.xml file and I've been vim-greping and vgreping and I can't find any text:c= or any such attribute. This problem however exists in all the default templates for OO 3.0.

Can you help me file a bug report? This needs to be fixed it's really exasperating and it's a tough problem to describe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagar Delest
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Rather strange. Make sure that in Tools>AutoCorrect, Options tab, the Ignore double-spaces option is not checked.

To file a bug report, see here: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs (I don't come here very often now).
cicade
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: spacebar does not make a space Reply with quote

The biggest problem is everybody crying weird, never seen this big, your the first.
All over the place I do find forum messages about this weird thing. OO writer does not show spaces when in a certain distance from right margin.
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavin8or wrote:
Extremely annoying, a total bug.

This bug still exists in OOo 3.2 !!! It's not just annoying, it's a very good reason to select a less buggy word processor -- which I have been forced to do for years now over this bug. The hidden spaces don't show up until you make a change somewhere in the paragraph that will cause the line of text to reflow. And then it's up to you to do a tedious search through your document for the buggy spaces before publication. This is an unbelievable bug for any word processor and I can't believe it's still in Writer after all these years.

Will this ever be fixed?

Windows 7 64-bit
OpenOffice 3.1.1*
*rollback from 3.2 due to bugs in Forms:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=108390
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=109081
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: