OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Unwanted design changes when text is moved by copy and glue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarcyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Unwanted design changes when text is moved by copy and glue Reply with quote

I have written a text with headlines for the paragraphs. I numbered the headlines. If I make changes to the texts (for instance by copy and glue), the design of the paragraph suddenly changes (the left margin moves right both for headline and for text), which was not the intention Sad . I can change it back, but to me this is definitely a bug and a drawback.
Sarcyn
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
Where do you copy from? Do you apply direct formatting a lot (that is: adjust margins with the ruler, change font or font size with the lists on the tool bar, that kind of thing)? If you copy from an Internet page, you can expect a lot of things to go wrong, in that case it's better to paste as unformatted text.
Sarcyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Design change of paragraph when trying to copy Reply with quote

You can find the text where I ran into problems in:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2232082/DiviTumDE06_2011-10-02_edit.odt.
The text was once written with Open Office Org.
Now I tried to edit it in Libre Office, last version, shoule work the same way but does not. I just tried to copy a few words from one of the paragraphs on p. 8 or 9 to one of the other paragraphs. Thus the format of the copied words was exactly the same at the place where they were glued in.
I also found thsat if I try to write the copy with straight right hand margins, the headlines also automatically get straight hand margins, with disastrous effects.
This may mean that I have to return to OOo instead of LibreOffice? I thought that they were equivalent.
Sarcyn
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

404 - Not found.
Never mind that. Try F11, right click the paragraph style that's giving problems, select Modify, select the Organiser tab and un-tick Auto-update. Repeat for any other styles giving trouble.
Sarcyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Design change of paragraph when trying to copy Reply with quote

Automatic update was unticked!

Another try with the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2232082/DiviTumDE06_2011-10-02_edit.odt
floris_v

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was that other one: Edit - record changes. Turn it off if it annoys you (and accept all changes to get rid of what you already got).
Sarcyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Back to OOo Reply with quote

I will go back to old OOo, where I did not get a sudden re-arrangement of the text when I copied a few words from one para to another, and where I could change from unadjusted right margin to margin adjustment after a manual CR in a paragraph Smile . Just hope that OOo does not remove those possibilities in future updates!
Sarcyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: