OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

WordPerfect filter name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: WordPerfect filter name Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

I am using the technique described here:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3801

to load documents from streams, using the ''private:stream' protocol. I'm having a little trouble with the filter names...

I need to load documents of various types using streams. However, I've noticed that for some document types, there is a huge difference in speed between using a 'file:///' URL and the stream approach. For.odt and .doc types, it didn't seem to make any discernible difference, but for WordPerfect and HTML, the difference big - they were much slower when using streams.

Guessing that this is due to Open Office being forced to figure out the required filter based on the data in the stream, I have tried specifying the filter to use via the load properties. For HTML, it worked perfectly - I can now get HTML to load from a stream just as quickly as from a 'file:' URL, as long as I specify the FilterName of 'HTML'. If I take this property out, it goes back to super-slow mode again.

This seems to confirm my guess about the nature of the slowness - however, I can't get this optimization to work for WordPerfect (.wpd) files. I have used the filter name "WordPerfect", which is shown here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Framework/Article/Filter/FilterList_OOo_3_0

(I am using OO 3.1, but haven't been able to find a more up to date list. )

I know that OO can open the .wpd files extremely fast, as it does this when I use a 'file:' URL.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It seems as if the filter name "WordPerfect" is incorrect, but I don't know what it should be, if not that. Thanks!
jaybee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I believe I have confirmed that 'WordPerfect' is not a recognized filter name for use with XComponentLoader.loadFromURL.

I read in the documentation somewhere (can't find the link now) that unrecognized filter names are ignored when using XComponentLoader.loadFromURL. I confirmed this anyway by using a bogus filter name, and sure enough my document still loads.

Now, if you use an valid filter name, but for the wrong document type, then the document doesn't load.

Since my document always loads when I use "WordPerfect" as a filter name - even a .odt or .html file will open when I specify that - I conclude that "WordPerfect" is not recognized as an existing filter. If it was, it then other non WordPerfect documents would fail to load when specify "WordPerfect" as the filter name.

So, anyone know the correct name of the WordPerfect filter? I know it's in there!
jaybee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up. I just can't figure it out. Somehow, the loadComponentFromURL function does something that makes WordPerfect files load much more quickly, but what? It's a mystery. Thanks to all who read my question anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Macros and API All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: